View Single Post
Old 30-08-22, 09:33
Administrator

Quote:
The 1851 census for Waddesdon is not available.
UK Census Online has the following listed in Buckinghamshire in 1851:

Name: Robert Evans, Age: 40, Born In: 1811, Profession: Labourer
Name: Elizabeth Evans, Age: 39, Born In: 1812, Profession: Lace Maker
Name: Sarah Evans, Age: 12, Born In: 1839, Profession: Lace Maker
Name: Emily Evans, Age: 9, Born In: 1842, Profession: Scholar
Name: Jonah Evans, Age: 3, Born In: 1848, Profession: Scholar

It is not possible to establish (without paying for a sub!) whether these people are all from the same household, but when I cross-referenced them to the Evans in Bucks on the FMP version of the 1851 census, none of these people appeared, suggesting they were living in an area not covered by FMP.

As there are potential gaps in this family, I looked at the GRO indexes to see if there were any further birth registrations with mmn Teuly (or anything similar!) in case I needed to search for additional children in 1851. This led to a whole can of worms!!

EVANS, SARAH mmn TULEY
GRO Reference: 1838 D Quarter in AYLESBURY Volume 06 Page 289

EVANS, EMILY mmn TALEY
GRO Reference: 1841 D Quarter in AYLESBURY Volume 06 Page 324

This might be another if the writing was tricky to transcribe:

EVANS, REBECCA mmn TACH
GRO Reference: 1845 M Quarter in AYLESBURY Volume 06 Page 375

Rebecca died 1846 Q4 aged 1.

and lastly:

EVANS, - (female) mmn TOOLEY
GRO Reference: 1858 S Quarter in AYLESBURY Volume 03A Page 386

Though I couldn't find a female death before 1861 that worked, so this birth (above) may be a red herring.

For completeness, here is the birth reg for Robert and Elizabeth's granddaughter, Lizzy:

EVANS, LIZZY mmn -
GRO Reference: 1857 S Quarter in AYLESBURY Volume 03A Page 399

Of course I've missed out Jonah as he is the can of worms!

I can only see the one Jonah Evans on the 1851/61 censuses and none died 1847/61 in Aylesbury district, yet the only birth reg that fits for him is this one:

EVANS, JONAH mmn VENEMORE
GRO Reference: 1847 S Quarter in AYLESBURY Volume 06 Page 299

I had wondered if perhaps Robert Evans had lost his first wife and married another Elizabeth, but that makes no sense if you look at the dates for children of Elizabeth Teuly above (assuming they are all hers). Plus I couldn't find a death for Elizabeth nor any remarriage for Robert.

There's just one other birth reg for Evans/Venemore in Aylesbury district (1837-1855):

EVANS, JONAH mmn VENEMORE
GRO Reference: 1844 D Quarter in AYLESBURY Volume 06 Page 331

This Jonah died in 1846 Q4 aged 2.

I can't find a marriage for Evans to Venemore to eliminate these Jonahs. I did wonder if they were children of a relative of Robert Evans and Robert took on the surviving child for some reason?

After all that, I found Waddesdon 1851 census is on Ancestry, so I wouldn't have opened the can if I'd looked there first as I would have just posted up the census link!! lol

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...7808ac56c7dd6b

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010