View Single Post
Old 13-10-12, 07:22

Default Living Rellies that dont believe the facts over what they believe

Morning All,

I was wondering if any of you have any living rellies that have always believed their family story(s) through the years, but when you present them with the actual facts, they still dont believe you

My nan is 86 and has always believed that her father was disowned by his family, particularly his father, when he chose to marry her mother as they felt she was beneath him. Also that her father's ancestors owned schools in Wales (surname is Jones!) and were fairly well to do.

Well, the truth is that her father's dad died when he was 3 and he didnt name him on his marriage cert. His mother was actually a witness to the wedding.

As for owning schools in Wales, the nearest i've got to any of this family from Sheffield is my great x 3 grandfather deciding to stop being a silversmith and was a certified school master for about 20 years in Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire. His own father is my illusive William Jones that on three different census says he was born in Yorkshire/Jersey/At Sea

My aunt is fascinated by all this and told her mother with all the documents, but Nan has dismissed all of it saying "no, they definately had schools in Wales". Mmmmm

Her father also knocked 4 years off his age, made up he was at well to do boys school in Sheffield, and lied about his occupation on at least one occasion, which makes me think he was a bit of a fantasist lol. We didnt tell Nan this bit lol.