View Single Post
Old 09-10-12, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Ah, sorry, I didn't actually see the programme, so was just commenting in general.

A domestic training would still be quite useful for a severe epileptic, who would of course be still expected to WORK in a mental asylum!

OC
One of my great aunts was epileptic and was put in St Ebba's Hospital in Epsom, then called Ewell Epileptic Colony, from the age of 13 (when menstruation started) until her early 60s when she was released into the care of a nurse from the hospital. She lived with her until sheltered accommodation became available about 10 years later.

She worked in the laundry at the hospital for all her time in there and lost the sight of one eye when a fellow patient flicked a sheet in her eye during the late 1920s.

She was never talked about and I only knew of her existence when she was released when I was about 13 or 14. She was such a lovely lady, considering what her life had been like, and spent her remaining years travelling throughout Europe, before dying of cancer at the age of 75.

Sue at Langley Vale