View Single Post
Old 08-04-19, 17:22
Administrator

I've got another one now!

I have two shared matches (both estimated as 4th-6th cousin) who are descended from different daughters of a couple called Francis Steer Hunter, born 1791 Stockwell, London / Surrey, and Mary Sealy, born about 1789-1792 Surrey. One of those daughters was married to a Henry Edwin Atkins. Now I find that another of my DNA matches (estimated 4th - 6th cousin) is descended from Henry Edwin Atkins's brother. This person does not come up as a shared match with the descendant of Henry Edwin Atkins, although they are 4th cousins to each other - I guess the amount of shared DNA they have must be below the cutoff point.

So I have DNA matches with both the Hunter family and the Atkins family, which I would have thought should mean that I was descended from the Atkins / Hunter couple - Henry Edwin Atkins and Elizabeth Hunter who married in 1845 in Lambeth. But they only seem to have had one surviving child, and even if I was descended from him (how?) I would be much more closely related to one of those DNA matches than ancestry estimates. But it seems too much of a coincidence if I'm related to the Atkins branch and the Hunter branch in separate ways. None of these families hung around in the same place for very long!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update