View Single Post
Old 10-04-19, 21:43
Administrator

I don't know if anyone will remember this thread!

To save reading back....

When my 2xg-grandmother married in 1854 she said her father was John Saunders, coal merchant.

I still don't know much about him, but believe these three baptisms may well be three of his children:

My ancestor:

Elizabeth bap 05 Dec 1830 at St Augustine-the-Less, Bristol, parents John and Ann Saunders. Abode Anchor Lane, father's occupation Servant.

Her brother and sister:

George Augustus bap 23rd Sep 1827 at St Philip & St Jacob, age 1 month, parents John and Ann Saunders. Abode St Philip, father's occupation Coal Merchant.

Mary Ann bap 8th Feb 1829 at St. Phillip and St. Jacob, parents John and Ann Saunders. Abode St Phillip, father's occupation Brewer.

In 1841 Elizabeth and Mary Ann are together, but with no other family members. It seems likely George Augustus either dropped his middle name, making him difficult to trace, or died before civil registration began.

Until today I had no idea what happened to Mary Ann, but I think I might have cracked that now!

I think Mary Ann married Walter Sparrow in 1850. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find an image of the marriage entry (or a transcription including her father's name), but, apart from Mary Ann having the right age and birthplace in 1851, 61 and 71, she also has this son:

SPARROW, GEORGE AUGUSTUS
SAUNDERS
GRO Reference: 1855 D Quarter in BATH Volume 05C Page 628

Just a coincidence?? I might just fork out for the marriage certificate (unless someone can show me a reason not to)!!

If this is Elizabeth's sister, I can only hope the marriage cert gives me another lead on John and Ann.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010