View Single Post
Old 03-06-19, 12:02

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Casual work in the laundry trade and working as an ostler or similar are such commonplace occupations I think it would be hard to say there was any connection to travellers etc from that alone...
Indeed thanks, I agree.

My father overheard someone reproving my grandma (must have been a brave soul) when he was a child, his mother was told that she 'was not following her true religion'. My father never understood what was meant by this, it stayed with him all his life. I am wondering if the dna test may shed any light upon this strange statement?

Quote:
Is that the next generation forward? The husband of a daughter of John Innell and Louisa Mary Powell? People moved a lot, usually for work or to be near relations or whatever, just like today.
Yes, John Innell, descended from the Innell varnish family of Victorian London, they used to varnish hansom cabs. There is no family history connecting the Kemps with Bromley, Kent, before my grandma suddenly appears there at the time of her marriage to Arthur; nor the Innells. The Powell surname (grandma's mother's maiden name) was extensively documented in Southwark during the 18th century, which connects to Bromley by way of the Old Kent Road of course. So I also wondered if there was a Powell connection concerning the move from Hampstead in North London to Bromley Kent?

Quote:
Are you referring to Arthur Kemp b 14 Apr 1867? I'm guessing, just because I see he and his wife are in Kent in 1939!
Yes, Arthur Kemp, 1867-1944, I found what may or may not be his service record last night - dates do not tally:

Kemp Arthur 1870 — 1888 British Army Service Records Hythe, Kent, England

Kemp Arthur 1873 — 1900 British Army Service Records St Mary's, Chatham, Kent, England