View Single Post
Old 07-02-13, 23:46

Default My great granfather Joseph Hay

This one arrived in the post a few days ago with a note asking who it was, it came down through the Goulson family and has a note on the back "One of the Hays and his mate". The location of the photographer is a massive clue, South Shields. Only one member of my tree has ever been in that area, my great grandfather Joseph Hay. He was in the area during the 1870's, on the research forum it became apparent the photographer was in business during the 1870's so everything points towards just the one possible family member it could be. The question is which chap is mine.

Joseph Hay was born in 1847 so at the time of the photograph he would have been around 30 years old, this suugests the chap on the left is a little old to be Joseph, Joseph was also a master mariner and I feel the bearded chap fits beyyer with this occupation. How did it come down through the Goulson family? Well Joseph is the son of Ann Goulson and after retiring moved to Lincoln where his sister and membrs of the Goulson family lived, that must be how it came to be in the possession of one of the Goulsons.

One of the Hay family plus mate by Glen TK2, on Flickr
My coal is spent, my iron's gone
My nails are drove, my work is done
Lord receive my soul

Last edited by Glen TK; 20-04-14 at 16:18.