View Single Post
Old 18-12-17, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by James18 View Post
1) Ellen Martha Townrow (1829 - 1860), for whom I have baptism, marriage and death. No census records at all, though I've found various family members. It's a bit confusing because a lot of the men were called either John or Joseph, and so someone I thought may have been her father was actually her brother.
I have managed to find an 1841 Cripplegate census for Ellen -- this was quite difficult because there are several Joseph Townrows with similar occupations across the same area of London. I was able to go through the siblings' baptisms to confirm I had the right family. Even more confusing was that whereas I thought I'd be looking for Ellen's parents from her baptism (Joseph and Elizabeth), I didn't realize her mother had died and that Joseph was on his second (third?) wife by then.

We only need an 1851 census for Ellen now, as she died in 1860. She was born in August 1829 (not entirely sure where) and baptized in Bloomsbury in May 1838. Baptism link is above.

She married Matthias Davis in Bethnal Green in 1852, so I'd expect her to be in roughly that area in 1851.