Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Research Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Two burials/memorials? (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29750)

Kit 23-05-21 12:02

Two burials/memorials?

findmypast had some new Scottish memorial transcriptions released recently. I was having a look to see if we got images or just transcriptions and found a memorial for my 4g grandfather James Crawford.

I then googled to see if I could find an image of the memorial elsewhere, which I failed to do. However, I did find a find-a-grave memorial for the same James at a different cemetery, which triggered a memory of a distant connection saying there was a family vault or something on an island, a place I would not have looked.

Can anyone think of a reason there would be 2 grave type things for 1 person?

Attached are the pages, if anyone wants to look.

FMP

Findagrave

FMP mentions a daughter Sarah I have never heard of and can't find a baptism for. I've found her likely death on Scotland's People in 1818.

kiterunner 23-05-21 13:26

I haven't got an FMP sub to look at the FMP entry, but I don't put much faith in Find a Grave nowadays, since people submit stuff from their own family tree research rather than just doing their own local cemetery or graveyard. However, in this particular case, there is a transcription of the gravestone to go by.

I have come across situations where there are two memorials to the same person - one in the graveyard where they were actually buried, and another on a family gravestone elsewhere. So it could be the same here. Maybe the person who had the gravestone erected / inscribed, wanted to memorialise him even though he wasn't buried there.

Merry 23-05-21 15:08

My granddad is on two graves, in Oxfordshire and Dorset. My g-grandfather's brother is also on two, in Cambridgeshire and Tasmania. Took me years to realise there was a good reason his death wasn't registered in the UK!

Olde Crone 23-05-21 20:22

I missed out a whole chunk of my family because of a name on a monumental inscription - I ASSUMED he was buried there. Took many years for the penny to drop.

OC

marquette 23-05-21 23:12

Our Cole family memorial in Melbourne General Cemetery has more than 10 names on, and I know they aren't all buried there. But its a great reference point!

Kit 29-05-21 05:31

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the lack of response. My laptop died.

I'm not normally a huge fan of findagrave but the details on there remind me of what a new cousin told me, however she went on holidays and never responded again. She said she had pictures :(

Marquette I have a great aunt mentioned on a memorial in Orange who is buried in Rookwood, but there is no headstone at Rookwood. I don't think I've come across anyone before with multiple memorials. The Crawfords had money back then, I think, so it might be a prestige thing.

Glen TK 23-06-21 11:04

Findagrave has always been useful for me though I don't take everything on there as gospel, I use it as a basis for further research. As with any other transcription the details recorded on a gravestone are at best viewed with caution, dates may be incorrect, spellings may vary, middle names may be omitted or suddenly appear from nowhere.

I've entered and linked a lot of family on there in one cemetery in Lincolnshire though someone did a mass spreadsheet upload of burial registers around the same time. That person is based in Australia and has added over 5 million burials but knows nothing about them and isn't inclined to delve beyond the details from the register. I found a youngster yesterday who died aged 11 months, I have the registers and checked the plots, he's buried with his great grandparents, the surnames are different and at first glance seem entirely different individuals but a few minutes of cross referencing parish records, bmd and plot numbers I've pieced them together.

Kit 29-06-21 09:39

I agree that findagrave is good but needs checking. I was also cross checking FMP's transcriptions too and looking for images of graves if possible.

I definitely take gravestones with a pinch of salt. There was a fair bit of disagreement over my grandma's headstone as some had the date wrong. I think someone eventually dug out the death certificate to solve the argument.

ElizabethHerts 29-06-21 10:30

I've just added the burial of a Scottish family member to my tree. He was a policeman from Aberdeen, but he died at Battle in Sussex and was buried at Eastbourne.

I also found he was on the memorial of his parents-in-law at Aberdeen.