Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Family History General Discussion (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Family History Finds (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29614)

marquette 30-03-21 11:16

Family History Finds

Over the past couple of months, I have been cleaning up my mother's house, as she decided to move into a granny flat at my sisters.

Now, Mum knows I am interested in her family history, so I don't know if she has forgotten that she has these items but going through the old books and boxes of clutter has been a revelation.

I now have -

One Holy Bible inscribed to my maternal grandfather "for quoting the Books of the Bible" dated 15 Aug 1915 - he would have been 12.

One Holy Bible which belonged to my paternal grandmother, dated 30/9/1913, her sixteenth birthday. And her Book of Common Prayer dated for her eighteenth birthday, 30/9/1915.

A Book of Common Prayer dated "Xmas 1940" given to my father as a "Scripture Prize".

A very battered New Testament which I nearly discarded, except written inside the front cover are the names and dates of birth of my 3rd great grandparents, John and Catherine Eccles and their 4 children. As John and Catherine pre-date civil registration, finding this was extraordinary.

I also now have my maternal grandfather's World War 2 Medal and a fob watch engraved with my paternal grandfather's initials and date of his 21st birthday.

And I have not finished the "sewing room" and the other spare room ! There is also a large pile of photos to go through. A few of the photos are my Dad and his brother and parents - very rare, as Dad told us they were too poor to be able to afford to have photos taken.

Now I just have to label and organise these items so they are not lost to the family in the future.

Di

Olde Crone 30-03-21 11:23

Di

What a wonderful find. At the risk of sounding like a complete misery, I hope your family show more interest in your finds than mine do. I have downsized and all my important fh documents and photos are packed away in my daughter's loft. She is just waiting for me to die so she can take it all to the dump.

OC

Katarzyna 30-03-21 12:15

That's wonderful, Di, especially the pre 1837 find. Hope someone wrote on the backs of the photos?
You do make me howl, OC. I think my lot will do the same though :)

Olde Crone 30-03-21 14:53

Kat

Lots of people wrote on the back of my family photos.

Mavis in Edna's garden.
The terrible twins.
With Jim and Phoebe in Blackpool.
Mum's cousin Arthur.

And other useless remarks!

OC

marquette 30-03-21 21:18

I have 5 children and two of my girls are mildly interested in the family history - enough not to just throw it all out. At this time, I have 3 grandchildren with my oldest son, so I will be hoping that one of them is interested enough when they grow up. Or even interested enough to find an fh society or local museum.

Some of the photos have names, a lot of them from when I went through them with Mum and Dad saying "Who is that?".

I love the one that says "Dear old Dad" it turned out to be my great great grandfather Christopher who died in 1927. Must have been sent out from England to his son who came here in 1914.

And until the last few months, I thought that Mum and Dad did not have any family mementos !

Jill 30-03-21 21:31

What pleasing finds, I hope there are more treasures in the sewing room.