Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 27-01-14, 15:13

Default old soldier

Hi there - I'm new to this forum. I've hit a brick-wall with trying to find some info on a G Grandfather. How much info do I put on this thread please? The person in question was born in Belgium (French speaking Belgian), and then signed up as a gunner with the RHA in CapeTown South Africa in 1858 (he was born 1838). How he got there we have no idea. When he left the army he lived in London for a short time (where his first child was born) and then he and his wife & child moved to Dublin where they had 3 more children. He died there in 1901. I have details of his army record in the RHA. I've not been able to find any info on his birth in Belgium (have tried the Ostend geneology people but with no luck). Any ideas as to where else I can look? Thanks, Cathy M.
Old 27-01-14, 15:36
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, Cathy

You can tell us anything you like about people on your tree as long as they are deceased. If you post information about living relatives then you must have their permission.

So, if you could tell us your great-grandfather's name....Also, do you have a copy of his marriage certificate? If you, do does it give his father's details (which country did he marry in?) and do you know where in Belgium he was born? Do you have his census records (if he was in the UK at the right time and if he lived long enough into 1901 for the Irish census)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 27-01-14, 20:42

Hi there - thanks Merry and nice to meet you! his name was Alexis Brochess (that's how the RHA spelled his name - it looks like Broeheys on his army papers). He married in Dublin in 1876 - her name was Jane Bright. Did they put parents details on marriage certs then - if so, I'll order a copy. In 1901 they were in Dublin - he died in 1906 (but not before he had been in Mountjoy and Rainham Prisons - not sure if he was convicted or not but he was accused of either assault (or even worse, "murder"). His army papers say he was born in Fragonne near Ostende. Their children were Catherine, Frances and Alex.
Old 27-01-14, 21:17
Administrator

Re the marriage cert, I don't actually have any Irish lines on my tree, but Roots Ireland says this about what info Irish marriage certificates have (from 1864)

Quote:
Marriages

A marriage certificate includes the names of the parties, their current marital status, date of marriage, address and occupation of fathers and, occasionally, the mothers’ names.
So it would be helpful to get that certificate.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 27-01-14, 21:48
Administrator

Quote:
Their children were Catherine, Frances and Alex.
I think there were more children than that.......

Emily Jane b 1878 Ireland

Catherine b 1880 Ireland

Mary Isabel b 1881 England d 1882 England

Nora b 1883 England d 1895 Ireland

Frances b 1886 England

Josephine Eugena b 1889 Ireland

Alexis Bridget b 1894 Ireland

Old 27-01-14, 22:00
Administrator

Do you have an Ancestry sub? They are in England for the 1881 census:

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/75...l=ReturnRecord

Old 27-01-14, 22:02
Administrator

The Irish 1901 census says Alexis was born in France and the English 1881 census says Leille, France.

Old 27-01-14, 22:05
Administrator

Quote:
When he left the army he lived in London for a short time (where his first child was born) and then he and his wife & child moved to Dublin where they had 3 more children.
I've just realised you probably have that 1881 census, but it looks like the first two children were born in Ireland as they are on the census and are the first two on my list in the previous post.

Old 27-01-14, 22:09
Administrator

On the 1901 census he says he was born in France. Also it gives their religion as Roman Catholic, though you probably know that already.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.i.../nai003737842/

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 27-01-14, 22:23
Administrator

The Lille civil registration records are online and I have had a quick look but couldn't see his birth in there:
Nord Archives

That is, assuming that Leille means Lille.
But most likely he was born somewhere between Lille and Ostend! I suppose you could try the other towns in Nord departement on that site.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update