Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 06-03-12, 19:05

OK, I've found one.

Search for George Inman.

If you don't add the country, you'll get all the US censuses (as well as UK), but you only get hits from one US BMD database (N Carolina), plus the SSDI.

If you select USA, but not the State, you get records from 10 different US BMD databases.

And if you select a state (e.g. Wisconsin), you get more records still.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-03-12 at 19:08.
Old 06-03-12, 19:11

I've only just noticed the bit about getting more records when you select a State.

It makes searching a bit of a hit-and-miss affair; no problem if you know where the person lived and enter the State, but if you don't, you'd need to select each State in turn to be sure of not missing any records.
Old 06-03-12, 19:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
OK, I've found one.

Search for George Inman.

If you don't add the country, you'll get all the US censuses (as well as UK), but you only get hits from one US BMD database (N Carolina), plus the SSDI.
I've got to go and have supper in a minute, but just using the basic (old) search on the UK home page, with the UK and Ireland box unticked, and Exact matches only ticked, George Inman, spelling exact, lived in all countries, no year range specified, I get 1,927 BMD results in 167 databases, with SSDI and North Carolina Birth Index on the first page of results, but paging through the databases there are lots of other US ones - Indiana Marriages, Missouri Marriages, Ohio Births and Christenings, Tennessee....

sorry, got to go and eat now, back later.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-03-12, 19:33

Oops

I hadn't realised there was more than one page of results (and I've been using Ancestry for years...)
Old 06-03-12, 20:18
Administrator

lol! 'Can't see for looking', as my gran would say!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 06-03-12, 21:16

Yes, I shall be blushing for weeks about that
Old 07-03-12, 05:52
Administrator

Don't worry, I won't tell anyone (I'm sure I've done much more stupid things in my time!)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-03-12, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
Oops

I hadn't realised there was more than one page of results (and I've been using Ancestry for years...)
Think of all the info you might find by turning the page.

Start re-searching those troublesome ancestors.
Old 07-03-12, 17:09
Administrator

Those tick boxes have been driving me crazy for ages. If using the .au site, when I tick the box for only Australian and UK results I only ever get Australian results and no UK ones. I have complained about it twice because it did not used to be like that, and then I get a letter back from Ancestry teaching me how to search the data base.
Yes, I know how to do that, but when I want to tick the box and restrict the search to Australian and UK results, then that is what I want!

For that reason I use the .uk site, at least then I can restrict to only the UK results and most of the people I an searching for spent a good part of their life that I want to know about in the UK, but reading this maybe not as many results as I thought.

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 09-03-12, 06:15
Administrator

*heavy sigh*

The good news is Ancestry have replied.

The bad news is, this is what they say (in brief)

They cannot replicate the problem, as when they have the UK and Ireland box ticked they still get the Silver War Badge material in the results. They state the reason I don't to be because I don't sign out of Ancestry every time I use it and I shouldn't expect an 'optimum experience' if I don't sign in and out each visit.

They have given me this link, which they have requested I read (but I haven't yet!)

http://ancestryuk.custhelp.com/cgi-b...p?p_faqid=5253

I have dutifully tried signing out and back in again - I then looked for John William Norman with the UK and Ireland box ticked and guess what? Still no result for the Silver War Badge!!

Could someone else see if they can replicate my (less than optimum) 'experience' before I email them back?