Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 11-03-13, 18:27

All mine were in London, Rachel, but I have wondered if they moved there from elsewhere, and that's why so many seem to be missing from the LMA records.

I know Coventry had a silk weaving industry back then (my Bellingers were silk weavers) but I haven't found anything there.

Do you have any Richard Bellingers/Ballingers? Very popular name for the London lot!
Old 11-03-13, 18:44

I can't see any Richard's in my tree but I think there are some I've not added.
I was sent some Parish records and may not have looked at them all.
Life took over and family history has had to wait.

My tree has 3 Benjamins, 3 Davids, 2 Johns, Mary Ann, Caroline, William Thomas, Daniel, Arthur and Charles.
The earliest one (Benjamin) married Elizabeth Gosling on 9th Jan 1815 but I have no DOB.
No silk weavers either
Old 11-03-13, 19:00

That's a shame, it doesn't sound like there's a connection - I'd love to get this branch sorted out
Old 12-03-13, 20:37

Default Richard Bellinger

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for your reply and for giving me the age on the 1845 death certificate. The Richard Bellinger who married Hannah Wilkins was 30 on his 1843 death certificate which ties in with the 1841 census (where his age is not rounded down) for him to be born in 1812-1813. He therefore does not appear to be either of the two baptisms.

I am wondering if it is possible that both the 1804 and 1817 (born 1803) baptisms are for your Richard. I know this may sound a bit confusing but I think this could be possible.

As the baptism was in 1817 when the child was said to be 14, it seems to me that it could have been done then in relation to an apprenticeship. According to the certificate if Richard was born in 1803 he would have been 14 and this was the age children were usually apprenticed.

But what if his parents wanted him to be apprenticed but he wasn't yet 14? The Richard born and baptised in 1804 would only have been 13. With no one knowing any different, could it be possible that the parents had him baptised a second time but this time giving an older date of birth to 'make' him 14.

It may sound unlikely but a teenage child was a financial 'burden' and it does seem a bit unlikely that there were two Richard and Hannah Bellingers, neither of whose marriage can be found.

Anyway, just a thought.

Jon
Old 13-03-13, 07:50

Hi Jon,

Yes, I've wondered whether the 1804 and 1817 baptisms were the same person - as you say, just how many Richard/Hannah Bellingers were there? It's frustrating that there don't seem to be any sibling baptisms which might help to pin them down.

Let's hope that eventually an extra piece of information will appear to make sense of it all!
Old 13-03-13, 10:04

Default Richard Bellinger siblings

I think that these might be siblings which I mentioned earlier:

Martha Bellanger born 1792 bapt 1794 Whitechapel
Richard Thomas Ballenger born and bapt 1797 in Finsbury

Parents of both are Richard and Hannah.

Finsbury is a bit of an odd location if Richard was a weaver though. But Martha certainly seems likely to me given the location.

Unfortunately there are no occupations on either baptism to lend support.

Jon
Old 04-11-14, 19:58

Updated

Tags
to3g27