Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 10-03-11, 23:04

Default James Berry (MFFFF)

Name - James Berry

Date and place of birth - *1784(?) Colne, Lancashire

Names of parents - *

Date and place of baptism - *

Details of each of his or her marriages - 18 April 1814, Kildwick, Yorkshire, to Anne Barrett

Occupation(s) - Warp Sizer (Cotton) Master

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) -

1841 census, age 50, sizer, living at Bent, Sutton with wife Ann age 50 and children Martha 25, Ellen 25, Thomas 20 a sizer, Hanah 15, John 13 ag lab, James 5

1851 census, age 64, living at 89, Croft Head, Sutton with wife Ann, daughter Hannah and son James. Retired cotton warp sizer.

1861 census, age 76, widower, living at 82, Ellers, Sutton with a servant Margaret Dixon. Described as a gentleman.

Date, place and cause of death - 18 November 1861, Sutton-in-Craven near Keighley, Yorkshire, obstruction of bowels (have cert.)

Date and place of burial - 22 November 1861, Sutton Baptist Chapel (Craven Indexes by Josie Walsh)

Details of will / administration of their estate -

There exists an Indenture of 1855 in which James Berry effectively handed over his land and properties to his sons Thomas and James the younger and his daughter, Hannah. Family members have said that James Berry bought up bits of land and property on a rather broad scale at Steeton, Eastburn and Sutton from people who were in financial difficulty. He also had the sizing house in Sutton, divided into 2 cottages after the business ceased, and the house he built on the same plot of land.

I have this information from one of my mother's second cousins, who spent hours at Leeds researching Berry wills and probates many years ago. This same cousin concludes that the rest of his children must either have already died or been provided for when they married.

Memorial inscription - ?

================================================

*There is a possible baptism on Lancs-OPC:
Baptism: 23 May 1784 St Bartholomew, Colne, Lancashire, England
James Berry - son of John Berry & Betty
Abode: Higher Law
Register: Baptisms 1774 - 1789, Page 82, Entry 14
Source: LDS Film 1471023

And another, less likely, I believe, but still in the running:
Baptism: 2 Jun 1782 St Bartholomew, Colne, Lancashire, England
James Berry - son of Richard Berry & Mary
Abode: L: Marsden
Register: Baptisms 1774 - 1789, Page 66, Entry 14
Source: LDS Film 1471023

The handwriting on the photograph is my mother's.

James Berry's sizing house on the Sutton-in-Craven village website:
http://www.sutton-in-craven.org.uk/h...izinghouse.asp

Last edited by Janet; 08-08-11 at 05:38. Reason: Have made contact with cousins in Sutton :)
Old 10-03-11, 23:13
Administrator

There's a marriage on FamilySearch James Berry to Lydia Cooper 7 Nov 1824 Halifax.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 10-03-11, 23:38

Default lovely - thank you

Much obliged, KiteRunner. Hopefully I'm on the right track with this James Berry! The oil painting I have is done from a photo taken in Sowerby Bridge, and I also have a family photo of Thomas Berry that is from Sowerby Bridge. There are other Berrys in the area, but I didn't see any other who had a son Thomas who in turn had a son James.

EDIT: I was on the entirely wrong track, misled by a traveling photographer. My family were not from Sowerby Bridge. (Nor from Halifax as KiteRunner had hopefully suggested above.)

Last edited by Janet; 08-08-11 at 04:34.
Old 11-03-11, 08:23
Administrator

If you can get a birth cert or full baptism entry for one of James' children, it will tell you his occupation.

Old 11-03-11, 14:21

Thank you, KiteRunner, I didn't realize that I could find the occupation of the father that way. I've not requested any birth cert's before, so I have a learning curve ahead but with this tantalizing goal I will plow forward! You're always very helpful, and I appreciate it.
Old 11-03-11, 14:59
Administrator

This is the family on the 1841 census, at Carr, Sowerby, Halifax. Sorry, not a chemist!

James Berry 40 Wool comber Y
Lydia Do 40 Y
Joseph Do 15 Wool comber Y
William Do 14 Worsted Mill Y
Mary Do 12 Do Y
Henry Do 5 Y
Eli Do 2 Y
Philip 4 months Y

Old 11-03-11, 15:07
Administrator

Oh dear, just realised your ancestor is Thomas born 1835 and there is no Thomas there! Luckily he turns up in 1851 (below):

Bradford Moor, Bradford, Yorkshire - back of Coach Row
James Berry Head Mar 50 Woolcomber Yorkshire Sowerby
Lydia Berry Wife Mar 52 Domestic Yorkshire Sowerby
William Do Son U 23 Woolcomber Do Do
Mary Do Daur U 23 Drawer Worsted Do Do
James Do Son U 18 Woolcomber Do Do
Thomas Do Son U 16 Do Do Do
Henry Do Son U 14 Do Do Do
Eli Do Son 12 Cotton Warp Dresser Do Do
Philip Do Son 11 Woolcomber Do Do
David Johnson GdSon 7 Scholar Do South Houran (?)

Have you got Thomas's marriage certificate, and if so, what does it say for father's name and occupation on there? Or is it one of those that just says "deceased"?

Old 11-03-11, 15:22
Administrator

Hmmm, if I understand your first post properly, and if I'm looking at the right people, Thomas's son James is a Coal Agent in Sutton on the 1881 census age 26 and born Sutton, then looking back at the 1871 he is age 17 and in Sutton with parents Thomas 51 Cotton Sizer and Farmer born Sutton, and Mary Ann 51 born Sutton. Thomas and Mary Ann's eldest son on the 1871 is John age 24, i.e. born 1846-7, so Thomas can't be the same Thomas who was baptised in 1835 as he was 16 on the 1851 census. In 1861 Thomas and Mary Ann are at Sutton both aged 42, and in 1851 still at Sutton age 32.

This looks likely to be the right Thomas in 1841, at Sutton, but you would be best to work back one step at a time with certificates to make sure you follow the right people:
James Berry 50 Sizer N
Ann Do 50 Y
Martha Do 25 Y
Ellen Do 25 Y
Thomas Do 20 Sizer Y
Hanah Do 15 Y
John Do 13 Ag Lab Y
James Do 5 Y

Old 11-03-11, 16:33

Thomas's son James is a Coal Agent in Sutton on the 1881 census age 26 and born Sutton, then looking back at the 1871 he is age 17 and in Sutton with parents Thomas 51 Cotton Sizer and Farmer born Sutton, and Mary Ann 51 born Sutton. Thomas and Mary Ann's eldest son on the 1871 is John age 24, i.e. born 1846-7.... In 1861 Thomas and Mary Ann are at Sutton both aged 42, and in 1851 still at Sutton age 32.

...you would be best to work back one step at a time with certificates to make sure you follow the right people

Yes, thank you, thank you! I think we're looking at my family here. This much I am fairly well assured of: my mother's father is this Walter on the 1881 census in Sutton:
James BERRY Head M Male 26 Sutton, York, England Coal Agent
Emma BERRY Wife M Female 27 Sutton, York, England Housekeeper
Walter BERRY Son Male 6 Sutton, York, England
Maggy BERRY Daur Female 2 Sutton, York, England

Your advice is quite right, and I suppose that I really should not skip any steps at all. I should start not with James' birth cert but with Walter's and see what is there. That will tell me what his father was doing at the time of Walter's birth, and also will confirm his mother's maiden name. (I think that is where our Pickles relatives come in. I am pretty certain she was Emma Pickles.)

Come to think of it, do you think I might be missing out by not hunting up my own mother's birth cert? I guess that's really step one.

EDIT: Kite found the right family in her previous post, on the 1841 census in Sutton: James Berry, 50, Sizer. He is my MFFFF. In my post here, on the 1881, are my MF Walter and my MFF James (grandson and namesake of James Berry born Colne).

The families in the earlier posts, from Carr, Sowerby, Halifax and Bradford Moor, Bradford, Yorkshire, it turns out are not at all mine.

Last edited by Janet; 08-08-11 at 04:50. Reason: Clarify that families in Carr, Sowerby, Halifax and Bradford Moor, Bradford, Yorkshire are not mine.
Old 11-03-11, 17:06
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Come to think of it, do you think I might be missing out by not hunting up my own mother's birth cert? I guess that's really step one.
I suppose it is.

Tags
to3g17