Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 03-11-19, 12:12
Administrator

2 years 2 months! Hopefully JHC is on that!

We don't have proof Sam and Kate moved to Exeter. Emily Chatterley mmn Young was born there and buried there aged 1 hour in Jul 1912. I could get the birth cert to see who her parents are. In 1913 and 1914 Henry and Kathleen were in Exeter, schooling Sam and Kate's son Henry Vincent Chatterley. In Q1 1914 they registered the birth of their own daughter Rosie (bap 5 Feb 1914) in Exeter and later that year moved to Taunton with Sam and Kate's son in tow.

Agreed about the general demeanour of the Chatterley men! I've been reading more about Frederick, Samuel and Kate's eldest son b in Birmingham 1904. Probably not the sort of person your mother would want you bringing home for tea!!

I don't know that any of them were in the workhouse in Exeter. Kate Young/Chatterley and two of her children were in the workhouse in Birmingham in 1911, but other than that I don't have any further info.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 03-11-19, 16:53

For the record (because I wodered if there might have been other brothers on the scene:
Joseph Henry b1859 d 1919
Henry Walter b 1861 d 1908
Thomas Alfred b 1863 d 1920
Jesse Arthur b 1865 d 1888
Ernest W B 1869 D 1949
Charlie Watkins b 1872 d 1903
Samuel Frederick b 1874
Arthur Bell b 1876 d 1925

All the brothers died in the Birmingham area
Old 03-11-19, 17:35
maggie_4_7

I love this thread, Merry's are usually complicated. I have had to read most posts twice

I probably should know this I have a recollection but has the person that you are helping had a DNA test?
Old 03-11-19, 17:38
Administrator

Thanks Phoenix. I haven't gone back any further because I'd be getting too far away for the DNA match. No spare brothers though, as I thought.

I can't think of a reason John Henry and Kathleen would have taken on Henry Vincent other than him being the child of a close relation or John Henry being Samuel with an alias.

I wondered what proof the army would want with regard to the details of wife (or in this case, his dependent common law wife) and dependent children? Surely they can't have accepted whatever they were told or every soldier would have a list of children as long as your arm so any pension payment might be larger. So, I suppose he couldn't say Henry Vincent was his dependent if it was going to open some can of worms John Henry didn't want opening.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 03-11-19, 17:54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
I love this thread, Merry's are usually complicated. I have had to read most posts twice

I probably should know this I have a recollection but has the person that you are helping had a DNA test?
Yes that's right. It would be tidy if John Henry Chatterley was my contact's great-grandfather, but not all of his male children were in the right place at the right time to 'do the deed'! Plus some of his male children are not his if he isn't also Samuel Chatterley! Unfortunately the person with the closest relationship in the DNA matches is now dec'd, so we can't get any information from him if he knew anything.

It's also possible a grandson of JHC might be 'the one' but most of his grandsons are too young to fit. On this thread the family are in Taunton in the 1910s-1950s, but crucially three of the men came to live here in Bournemouth which is what I need to happen. That's why I keep coming back to the Chatterleys rather than making the effort to investigate a couple of the women who could also be the link.

I think I should get the birth cert for Emily C in Exeter to see if her parents are Sam and Kate. Also the marriage of Kathleen Rafferty and Frederick Hodge (the man she married after splitting from JHC) to see if she had a father and so possible full siblings! I also need to get down to the local library to look at phone books and erolls to see if I can work out the arrival dates for any of the candidates in this area.

Old 07-11-19, 20:28
Administrator

All the Fold 3 records for John Henry Chatterley service number 545557 (four entries with this number) state his mother is Kathleen Flaterly (various spellings) - I'm imagining this is an error, as his common law wife was Kathleen Rafferty!