Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 28-10-19, 16:23
Administrator

Yes, but even if the cousins are both the same distance related to you, one could match you on DNA and the other not, unless they are both first or second cousins.

Sorry, maybe when I said "second cousin" in my previous post, it was confusing? I meant the relationship second cousin.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 28-10-19, 17:29

My local society is having a seminar on this precise topic next month - and I'm already booked that Saturday.
Old 28-10-19, 21:39

Thanks Kite, I'm sure in time I'll understand more and be able to work my way through it all, well that's the hope at least LOL

Phoenix, you'll have to take plenty of notes and tell what you learn.
Old 29-10-19, 09:15
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham Lady View Post
I'm surprised that my results have come already, they were received on the 15th October and arrived today! but how to understand everything with the thrulines will take some time. Am I correct in understanding these thrulines are just like the hints we already got from Ancestry, some good some useless?
Also, I have seen the link to a "cousin" in Australia, 4th–6th Cousin
Shared DNA: 64 cM across 6 segments, we've been in contact for some time, but, I can't see a link to another cousin in Australia who share's the same common ancestor with both of us. She has also done her DNA and should come up the same as above.
Day 1 and I'm totally confused
This might help understand that DNA inheritance although not totally random can differ for each descendant of the same parents.

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/...hy-it-matters/
Old 04-11-19, 13:24

Best Mate's thrulines currently only start with her 3rd great grandparents and only show potential ancestors. She has masses of matches with common ancestors, but when I click on them, I'm told the connection can't be found.

Are these known issues which will be resolved, or do I start playing?
Old 01-12-19, 14:39

Checking some of my thrulines, and wondering,
are these links to other folk definite dna links or just because we all have the same name in our tree? Just wondering if it's worth contacting some of them as it looks like I might have the correct 5x g grandparents after all, I was never sure, or is it that we have all "found" the same marriages and assumed, but have a connection somehow.
Sorry if this sounds confusing, my brain is practically addled with it all.
Old 01-12-19, 14:58

I had a whole load of DNA matches to an entirely incorrect marriage. Unsurprisingly, no links to the earlier generation.

Do you have DNA matches to the woman's side? If you can find her siblings, or ancestors amongst DNA matches, that would strengthen the theory.
Old 01-12-19, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham Lady View Post
Checking some of my thrulines, and wondering,
are these links to other folk definite dna links or just because we all have the same name in our tree? Just wondering if it's worth contacting some of them as it looks like I might have the correct 5x g grandparents after all, I was never sure, or is it that we have all "found" the same marriages and assumed, but have a connection somehow.
Sorry if this sounds confusing, my brain is practically addled with it all.
Daphne, from Ancestry:
AncestryDNA® ThruLines™

are these links to other folk definite dna links

No.
"Since ThruLines™ are based on the family trees of you and other members of Ancestry, they're as accurate as the trees they're based on."

"Because they're based on trees, ThruLines™ don't prove your specific connection to a DNA match."

or just because we all have the same name in our tree?

Yes.
"We use the family tree linked to your test to find people who are in your tree and are also in your matches' linked trees."

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the DNA connection to a specific individual (your "match") is definite (you do share some snippet or snippets of DNA, large or small, close or distant) but that is all you know.

Your tree and his/her tree might match for the right reasons or for entirely wrong reasons. To give an extreme example, if you and your DNA match share a family trait of wanting to be related to royalty and you each have a tree jerryrigged to make you a direct descendant of Alfred the Great and Genghis Khan, then that tree match should light up brilliantly on ThruLines.

Does that help, or have I made matters worse? (Full disclosure: I haven't used ThruLines yet. )

Janet (Niagara)
Old 01-12-19, 15:49

Here's an example of what I am seeing for 1 line, I've removed names from the 3 matches. The common ancestor seems to be George Gregore c 1720. I descend from a daughter they descent from a son.

Predicted relationship: 4th–6th Cousin
Shared DNA: 41 cM across 1 segments

Predicted relationship: 5th–8th Cousin
Shared DNA: 10 cM across 2 segments

Predicted relationship: 5th–8th Cousin
Shared DNA: 9 cM across 1 segments
Old 01-12-19, 16:14

When you click on shared matches, for the lower cMs, do they show the higher cM as a shared match?

My personal gut (and therefore unscientific) opinion is that if the link is a birth 300 years ago, there are 999 other links that it might be, or just a local DNA.

Does the 41 cM match link to any other DNA matches? That seems a very strong link for so distant a cousin.