Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 04-09-19, 23:49
Administrator

Default FMP offering free DNA kit with a Pro or Plus 12 month sub

Just seen this offer on FMP. The prices of the subs are £120 (Pro) and £156 (Plus), and they are offering a free Living DNA test "worth £79" with free delivery. The difference between Pro and Plus is that Plus includes international records (US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc) and newspapers, while Pro doesn't.

I put "worth £79" in quotes, though, because I would not recommend Living DNA and I don't really feel that their test is worth that much. Their ethnicity estimates don't seem to be very accurate so far, and you will not get very many DNA matches, if any, from their database. (For example, I have 4 matches on there and that is only because I have 12% Jewish DNA, otherwise I would most likely have no matches at all.) Also they can take a very long time to provide your results and many people have complained that it is difficult to get a reply from their customer service people.

However, you should be able to download your raw DNA data from Living DNA and then you can upload it to other sites such as Family Tree DNA, My Heritage, GEDMatch etc, although you will not be able to upload it to Ancestry or 23 and Me. You would then get more accurate ethnicity estimates and more DNA matches.

To sum up, I would not recommend buying a test from Living DNA, and I would not recommend buying the FMP Pro or Plus 12 month sub specially to get the Living DNA test, but if you were planning to buy one of those subs anyway, never look a gift horse in the mouth!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-09-19, 23:56
Administrator

Oh, just to add - if you have already tested your own DNA with another company (Ancestry, FTDNA, My Heritage, 23 and Me) and you get one of these free kits from FMP, you would be best to use it for a relative, not for yourself, since you could download your own raw DNA data from whichever site you used and upload it to Living DNA for free if you really want to try them out. (And you would be able to download your relative's raw DNA data from Living DNA.)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update