Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 28-06-22, 08:30

Thanks, Allan. I have these records as OH and I spent quite a few visits in the library at Huntingdon when they used to hold the original registers and bring them out for people to look at.

I also have the will George Lamb proved in 1621.

His son Robert Lamb married Susanna Cervington, whose family was linked with the Cromwells.
Old 28-06-22, 09:04
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Charles Lamb was obviously apprenticed as a gunsmith. He married Sarah Chambers in 1816 at Halesowen, Worcestershire, but she was from Birmingham.
Yesterday I saw another thread (an old one) regarding the parentage of Sarah Chambers and the question of whether her bap was 1795 or 1796, one set of parents being Jos and Ann and the other Jos and Marg.

This is a bit tenuous, but I did notice there's an apprenticeship recorded for a Joseph Chambers in Birmingham dated 25 Nov 1786. His master was John Dawkes, gunsmith.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...f9c&pId=701976

Having looked at the baptisms for the families of the two Joseph Chambers couples, the first child bap for Jos and Ann seems to be Sarah, in Feb 1796. The first for Jos and Marg seems to be John, in Aug 1790.

Joseph and Ann married in April 1795, both signing:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...2c&pId=3415135

Joseph and Marg married June 1790, both making their mark.

So, isn't it more likely your Joseph is the one who married Ann? Presumably he finished his apprenticeship which was probably seven years, before marrying. If either he didn't finish it (unlikely) or it was of shorter duration, he would have been quite young in 1790 assuming he was around 14 in 1786. Also I would imagine learning to be a gunsmith would mean you might be more likely to have learned to sign your name by the time you were married.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 28-06-22, 09:12

Merry, thanks for looking at the Chambers family, a brick wall for me.

I always thought that Joseph's wife was Ann Tierbuck, but evidence is thin on the ground. She is entered in my tree.

Thanks for the apprenticeship; I didn't have that.

Charles Lamb's widow Sarah (Chambers) married again in 1842 and she obligingly tells us her father was Joseph Chambers, gunsmith.

We are about to go out so I won't be able to look at this again until later.
a
Old 28-06-22, 09:17

By the way, one of the witnesses to the marriage of Charles Lamb and Sarah Chambers was Edward Chambers.
Old 28-06-22, 09:43
Administrator

Yes, the apprenticeship being for a gunsmith is what made me think this must be Sarah's father.

I didn't come across any Edwards, but then I didn't come across any likely baptism for Joseph - I thought Edward might be his brother.

I did find a scenario where Joseph had died by 1817, but no time to type that now. Back later..........

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 29-06-22, 10:32
Administrator

I didn't get any further with this, having disproved my 1817 theory. I became distracted by a long list of "Runaway husbands" in the Birmingham papers in 1791. They sounded like a real motley crew!

I still think Ann Tierbuck must be the mother of your Sarah Chambers, as the other couple were married too early.

Old 29-06-22, 11:06

Merry, I found this branch quite difficult to research. Joseph might not have been born in Birmingham. I have often wondered why Charles Lamb and Sarah Chambers married in Halesowen.

Ann Tierbuck appears to have been baptised on 27th March 1775 at St Martin's, Birmingham. Her parents were Joseph and Sarah Tierbuck. They married on the 20th July 1772 at St Martin's. Sarah's maiden name was Shuttleworth.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...64?pId=2255000
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...2?pId=52260145
Old 29-06-22, 11:11

There is a Joseph Tirbuck, publican, in the Trade Directories in 1770:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...56049099/hints
Old 29-06-22, 12:58
Administrator

Quote:
Joseph might not have been born in Birmingham.
No, I agree. It would make sense for him to go there for his apprenticeship though.

I agree about, 'why Halesowen' unless Sarah had a job there, I suppose. I also wondered how far Edward had travelled to be a witness?

Some annoying county boundaries in this area!

Old 29-06-22, 13:38

I have found some more Tierbuck/Tirebuck baptisms:

Mary 2 Aug 1773
Ann 27 Mar 1775
Thomas 29 Jul 1776
then a gap
Eleanor 13 Jun 1783
Charlotte 26 Sep 1787
Julia Maria 2 Jan 1794

All at St Martin's, parents Joseph and Sarah.

There is a burial for a Joseph Tierbuck on 11 May 1778 - no indication of age.