Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 12-10-09, 12:57

I have a brother & sister who die from the same household, within days of each other (second death registered before the first is buried) from different causes
They are in the same churchyard, but their memorials are entirely different, so you wouldn't think them from the same family.
Old 12-10-09, 12:57
Administrator

Possibly Ann's OH?

First name: James
Last name: OKEY
Date: 31 December 1836
Place of burial: Bunhill Fields
Age at death: 63
Address at death: Islington (Vault Opened)

Pity they didn't go for the street name this time

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-10-09, 12:59

Crikey! How big was the vault I wonder if there's still room left in there?
Old 12-10-09, 13:00
maggie_4_7

Didn't that cost a lot of money in those days?

I live quite close to Bunhill Fields haven't been in there for years, might take a walk around there again soon.
Old 12-10-09, 15:03
Administrator

Watch out for the Okeys then, Maggie!! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-10-09, 15:05
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Watch out for the Okeys then, Maggie!! lol
I don't know what its like in there now but I went past on the bus the other day still looks the same, seems fairly well kept from a distance

Edit to say: Unlike St Lukes in Old Street, they disinterred most of the bodies that were buried there and in the vaults I watched a program on it, they renovated the building though and now its a music/concert centre!

It had become a complete wreck before that vandals were responsible for so much damage and also going into the vaults and disturbing the bodies, and no, I'm not joking about that. The people who were engaged to disinterr the bodies said that some of the vaults had been opened and stuff taken! Just a thought on the churches/cemeteries in central London and their fate.

If I get down Bunhill Fields I'll keep my eye open for the Okey family.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 12-10-09 at 16:42. Reason: another thought on cemeteries in central London
Old 12-10-09, 16:52

I went to Bunhill Fields not so long ago and whilst it is reasonably well kept many of the stones have gone from the Blitz and age etc. There is an attendant with a map of sorts who can help you find a grave but the one I wanted had most likely been paved over to make a walkway - I had the co-ordinates of the grave! My ancestor was a non-conformist minister so I assume that was why he was buried there in 1832 because he lived in South London and there is no family vault.
Margaret
Old 12-10-09, 23:49

Well, Merry..............I could tell you about Myles Ariel who was buried with his first wife and mother in law. He had only been married to Lucrezia (oops..lol) for a year.

But....I won't start on the Clark curse either....
Old 13-10-09, 06:40
Administrator

Your Clarks (with the curse!) were from Bath/Bristol, weren't they? My Clarks were from there too, but I doubt there's a connection, as they were opposite ends of the social scale! lol My lot must have had a curse too though, as they refuse to be traced.....

Old 13-10-09, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
Unlike St Lukes in Old Street, they disinterred most of the bodies that were buried there and in the vaults I watched a program on it, they renovated the building though and now its a music/concert centre!
When I worked in Old Street (late 70s/early 80s) St. Lukes was a ruin, looking much like the bomb-sites around Aldersgate before the Barbican was redeveloped.