Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 15-01-11, 13:48

Default Harriet Bailey (or Smith?) - MFMMM

Name - "official" name and what they were known as: Harriet Bailey

Date and place of birth: 1849c, Oldbury, Worc/Staffs

Names of parents: Believed to be Eliza Hales & Mystery Father at Present.

Date and place of baptism: Not yet found.

Details of each of his or her marriages: 5th April 1869 at St Matthews, Etruria, Stoke, Staffs to Amos Mason. Harriet gave her father on this marriage cert as Benjamin Bailey, Collier. Witnesses were David Jones & Susanna Bedford.

After Amos died in 1922, Harriet married Benjamin Jarvis - June Q 1925, Sheffield, 9c, 1346

Occupation(s): None

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!):

1851: Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2024; Folio: 478; Page: 42; GSU roll: 87430. This is likely to be my Harriet but cannot fully prove it.

1861: Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2023; Folio: 44; Page: 36; GSU roll: 542905. If the 51 census is mine, then this is likely to be my Harriet with mother on the 61.

1871: 45 New Row, Tudhoe, Durham.
1881: 48 Bargate Street, Linthorpe, Middlesborough, Yorks
1891: 37 Coalbrook Crescent, Handsworth nr Sheffield
1901: 8 Worksop Main Road, Handsworth nr Sheffield
1911: 5 Askern Street, Carbrook, Sheffield

Date, place and cause of death: 1937, Sheffield

Date and place of burial: 10th April 1937, Tinsley Park Cemetery, Sheffield, aged 89. Harriet Jarvis buried with Amos Mason in grave number OA51gp.

Details of will / administration of their estate: Unknown.

Memorial inscription: Unknown.

I once had a thread about this lady a year or two ago (probably on Genes Reunited). Due to that thread, I bought a marriage cert for Eliza Smith & Benjamin Bailey (see above possible 1851 census). This marriage took place on the 15th May 1849 at Christ Church, West Bromwich. Ages given as major for both and both were widowed. Father for Eliza was Richard Hales, farmer. Benjamin was a miner on this cert.

I do think that that this Eliza is Harriet's mother, though I still dont know who Mr Smith was (maybe Benjamin is Harriet's father and she was illegitimately born before the marriage?).

I have tried to find mother Eliza and the other Smith children on the 41 census with no joy yet.

Tags
to3g10