Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 13-11-14, 20:23
tenterfieldjulie

Merry I found the Listing by looking at Ancestry, Thomas Headland, with approx. birth 1780 + then looking under Military and clicking on All areas.

Hope the following is accurate:

2 entries under UK, Military Campaign Medal & Awards Rolls 1793-1949:

1. Listed as Thomas Headland, 1815 Belgium -
Then under View Heading was typed Battle of Waterloo 1815, Cavalry, Wagon Train, Artillery & Footguards and written was No. 105 Thomas Headland, Date of Enlistment April 1813.

2. Listed as Thomas Hedgland, 1815 Belgium
written - Nominal list of Deaths, Desertions and have since left the Troop Woolwich 31/5/1816 -
Rank - Corp Thomas Hedgland - Bracketed with Pensioned Medals to be addressed to ? Greenwich ?

Julie
Old 13-11-14, 21:26

Julie - do you think the approx. date would have a five year leeway? My Thomas was

definitely not b before 1785.

Interestingly, 1813 is round about the time the family relocated from Uxbridge, where

Thomas was b, to central London, just a few streets away from where Christiana was b -

presuming that Dean St, Holborn is the Dean Street in Soho & that Bird St is the one.

just off Oxford St.
Old 14-11-14, 06:29
tenterfieldjulie

Vita .. the information that I brought up didn't bring up a birthdate .. that was just what I put in and I think the +was 10 years leeway. The dates it brought up were - enlisted April 1813 & he had left the troop by 31/5/1816, you would need to find his actual enlistment and or discharge to see his age. The mods in here will know if they are available online. I think some records are at the TNA.

For my OH's military ancestor history, I had Kevin Asplin a military researcher look at the actual records of musters etc, but before you paid for that you would need to know for sure that the Thomas Headland at Waterloo was your ancestor Thomas Headland.
Old 14-11-14, 07:32

Thanks Julie - I realise you needed a starting point, just wondered what the leeway might be. Thanks also for info - must try to find out more.
Old 14-11-14, 12:27

Yes, the TNA have the discharge records, but they haven't been digitised so you have to ask for an estimate for copying them.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...as+hedgland%22
Old 14-11-14, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
Yes, the TNA have the discharge records, but they haven't been digitised so you have to ask for an estimate for copying them.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...as+hedgland%22
Thanks Mary - would love to know if it is indeed my Thomas.
Old 23-11-19, 14:46

A few days ago I finally discovered the details of Christiana's marriage to Thomas

Headland:-

24th June 1805 in Horton, Bucks.

This is the first time the hamlet of Horton has cropped up, but as its only around ten

miles from Denham, home to Thomas's maternal line, I suppose that is the link.

If anyone has access to Buckinghamshire records that may provide further details, I'd

be most grateful. This one has bugged me for ages!