Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 14-06-22, 12:21

Default GRO Indexes

I'm looking at a woman who was born in 1922, a year before her parents married. She was registered under her mother's maiden name in the September quarter.

In the June quarter 1940 she was registered in her father's surname, with the registration hand written on the 1922 page but on the June quarter, not September quarter. This is found on FreeBMD, not on the GRO index.

On the GRO entry (MMN) it lists everything as normal but underneath says : "Occasional Copy: A"

What does that mean?

Also why would they not hand write her name on the correct quarter in 1922, or could they have made an error and used the same quarter they were in in 1940.

The MMN is unusual and as it is possible the lady is still alive I haven't put her name here.
Old 14-06-22, 12:53
Administrator

Quote:
Also why would they not hand write her name on the correct quarter in 1922
I think originally she was registered in Q3 but was born in Q2, so the re-registration entry is in Q2 because that was her birth Q.

Quote:
On the GRO entry (MMN) it lists everything as normal but underneath says : "Occasional Copy: A"

"Occasional Copy: A" refers to a form completed in connection with the alteration to her surname. I'm assuming this is the entry in the new surname? Is this the only entry that appears in the GRO index (ie the index that includes mmn) for 1922? That's what I would expect.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-06-22, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
"Occasional Copy: A" refers to a form completed in connection with the alteration to her surname. I'm assuming this is the entry in the new surname? Is this the only entry that appears in the GRO index (ie the index that includes mmn) for 1922? That's what I would expect.
No that is the original birth entry in the MMN. The new entries in the father's name are not in the GRO index, or at least the online one.

Maybe the occasional copy: A is placed on both before and after entries now?
Old 17-06-22, 08:21
Administrator

I need to find another similar circumstance. I have three on my tree, but none of those say Occasional Copy A anywhere, possibly because they are not in a similar time frame to the one you are looking at, plus they are all too late for the gov.uk GRO index.

Could you pm me the original entry details so I can look at this one?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-06-22, 08:55
Administrator

Actually, does this anser your Q?

If you go to a Lost Cousins newsletter:

https://www.lostcousins.com/newslett...djun22news.htm

and just under the intro list of topics there's a search box. Type Occasional Copy: A in the search and one of the first few results is an article from Dec 2016 which includes an explanation written by someone at the GRO.

I could have just copied and pasted what the GRO said, but I know Peter from LC doen't allow C/P from his site.