Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-06-22, 22:30
Administrator

18?9

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-06-22, 03:46

Kiterunner: Thanks for the Frederica Webb(e) obit. However I cannot read the date re Gottlieb "Meerut District 18??"
Old 03-06-22, 08:45
Administrator

None of us can read a digit that hasn't appeared in the newspaper image!

You could try searching the British Newspaper Archive or FindMyPast for other entries in case you can find more information that way. I have looked for this particular notice in other available papers, but didn't find anything.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-07-22, 21:42

I have been stuck on this for 50 years! My 6th great-grandfather was Robert Talbot, Tailor of East Greenwich. He was born about 1670 but no records. He married Marie Jones at St Alfege, Greenwich 18 April 1693. Both are "of this parish". Their son Robert Talbot (later Rev Robert of Stone Castle) was christened 11 Aug 1695 also at St Alfege. His father Robert is listed a "taylor". Robert Sr died 22 March 1704, East Greenwich, Kent, England and is buried at St Alfege's East Greenwich. He is listed as "Taylor of East Lands". St Alfege's think he may have been a churchwarden there. There is indeed a mystery - there are two Robert Talbots both "tailors" of Greenwich! For years I assumed my Robert was the one who died in 1744 but I very recently discovered he was an imposter! He was really Robert Turbitt 1690 - 1744 born in Hutton Henry, Monk Hesleden, Durham. A member of the Drapers but later changed his name to Talbot married Catherine Yates (not Marie Jones) and left Rev Robert a mourning ring. Very strange. My crazy guess is that he worked for my Robert Talbot as an apprentice and then took over the business and changed his name to Talbot to maintain the business - (I found the same in Hong Kong where my Indian tailor was "Sam the Tailor" - the 3rd generation to use that name!) If that happened to the Talbot Tailors then Turbitt would have known Rev Robert as they were very similar in age. As for his father's birth I am guessing. Rev Robert was born in 1695 so Robert Sr was probably born around 1670? I suspect the will of Robert Talbot died Greenwich 22 nd March 1703 or 1704 will hold the key. Any advice where I may find the will or any other documentation? Many thanks. Richard
Old 20-07-22, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaquiere Talbot View Post
I suspect the will of Robert Talbot died Greenwich 22 nd March 1703 or 1704 will hold the key. Any advice where I may find the will or any other documentation? Many thanks. Richard
How do you know there was a will?
Old 20-07-22, 22:57
Administrator

The burial record (St Alfege, Greenwich, 22 Mar 1703/4) says Robert Talbutt Taylor in East Lane, not "of East Lands".

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 21-07-22, 09:44
Administrator

Quote:
He was really Robert Turbitt 1690 - 1744 born in Hutton Henry, Monk Hesleden, Durham.
What is your source for this information?

Have you been able to identify all those relations mentioned in his will?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010