Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 21-07-22, 07:01

Default Ancestry Chromosome Painter BETA

I now have this feature available to me.

Has anyone else got it or viewed it?

https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/art...mosome-Painter

As my ethnicity results seem flawed, I'm not sure what use this is to me at present.
Old 21-07-22, 07:51
maggie_4_7

Yes just found it but would not have known about it had you not posted. Not sure I understand what it's trying to prove.
Old 21-07-22, 08:04

I'm totally underwhelmed, Maggie.
Old 21-07-22, 08:13
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
I'm totally underwhelmed, Maggie.

Well I might be a bit thick but I can't see or understand what more it's telling us that we didn't already know!
Old 21-07-22, 10:52

My maternal/paternal estimates seem somewhat accurate - Dad's side England/NW Europe, Wales and Sweden/Denmark, Mum's side England/NW Europe, Scotland, Ireland. I am sort of surprised that no Sweden/Denmark showed up from Mums Cambridgeshire ancestors but maybe they kept away from the Danelaw.

I just looked at the Chromosome maps and I am more than a little confused, now.

Mums ethnicity estimate includes 3% Germanic Europe, but she did not pass any of it to me ! All of her Chromosome 3 show Germanic Europe, whereas mine is all Scotland. Dad's Chromosome 3 shows Scotland from Parent 1 (father) and Sweden/Denmark from Parent 2, where my Chromosome 3 shows maternal Scotland and paternal England/NW Europe.

I can see what the chromosome painter is telling me, but don't know what use it could be - I already know where my ancestors lived and when. My parents' small amounts do not seem to match mine - maybe these will change over time.

Now, if I could compare mine to others with whom I share DNA but don't know their connection, then it might be helpful to work out from where and who we share DNA, but mine on its own, comparing with my parents or daughters, it just plain confusing.
Old 21-07-22, 11:43
Administrator

I hope they will add shared DNA with DNA matches to this in the future.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 21-07-22, 14:45

I haven't found it at all useful so far (hopefully it will be in future), but in the meantime I'm using this one, which I'm finding very interesting, because it doesn't focus on ethnicity but allows you to compare individual segments:

https://dnapainter.com

Of course, the drawback is that you can't download individual segments from Ancestry to upload to it, but you can download them from other sites (like MyHeritage, FtDNA and Gedmatch), and then upload them to DNAPainter where you can compare them. It's particularly interesting if any of the matches you have on those sites also have a tree on Ancestry.
Old 18-08-22, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
Well I might be a bit thick but I can't see or understand what more it's telling us that we didn't already know!
It doesn't really tell you anything you don't know. If however, you do know which parent is which, then you can see some of which chromosomes you share with each parent, or grandparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
I haven't found it at all useful so far (hopefully it will be in future), but in the meantime I'm using this one, which I'm finding very interesting, because it doesn't focus on ethnicity but allows you to compare individual segments:

https://dnapainter.com
What ancestry is giving is not the same as what dnapainter does. Ancestry is like a browser, not a painter, and currently ancestry is not entirely accurate.

If you want a better explanation join this facebook group:
GeneticGenealogyTipsAndTEchniques

The owner of the group, Blaine, is a professional genetic genealogist and explains really well the ancestry update and what it is and isn't. The group is also helpful at helping people work out DNA.
Old 18-08-22, 19:30

Thanks, Kit, but I don't use FB.

I hope Ancestry will add a DNA painter at some stage, or at least allow us to download our individual segments so we can use one for our Ancestry matches.