Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 06-06-10, 13:51

Yes, I was going to suggest that Libby tries to get qualified as a transcription agent if they'd had access. Pity.
Old 06-06-10, 22:09

Mary....I tried the transcription agent hoping they'd have access to something I didn't....lol

Toni.....I have done all the churches in the diocese as well as the Tasmanian ones for the couple of years they were there before coming back to Qld.
Mum always used the name Bowler after coming to Qld at about age 15. She's in the electoral rolls and her marriage has Bowler, as does her death. That's the snag. Everything that i can use to get the BC has Bowler so they'll give me the 'made up' one.

I have nothing to prove she was ever Boland except an old primary school roll. Not enough.

I'd just love to know if there was a Jocelyn Boland registered in NSW in March of either 1928 or 1929.

Mum always thought she was born in 1928 and everything official says that, but.....
she was named after a racehorse that won a big NZ race....(Grandad was a Irish Kiwi...say no more). It turns out Jocelyn didn't win until October 1928, so as Mum was born 25th March, it could have been 1929.....

And I think my kids have odd relationships.......lol
Old 07-06-10, 00:05

Would the Tassie school have a record of both names?

Does your uncle's BC mention an elder sister? And do you have a copy?

Is Boland the husband's surname or your grandfather's?
Old 07-06-10, 00:55

Hi Toni....

Tassie school only has an old roll....none of that info schools have these days. Mum is enrolled as Boland, same as her brother.

Uncle has his BC with mum on it as older sibling.....no surname.......not sure if that is what always happened by the others I've seen only have fist names for other siblings.

And.............

Boland.....is nobody's real name. Grandad was a Bowler. Grandma was a Thompson. Her maiden name was Kettley. She was from a small town where everyone knew both the kettleys and Thompsons.
Old 07-06-10, 01:15

So the husband she was hiding from was a Thompson.

When your mum tried to get her BC she asked for Bowler and they created one in that name?

I don't get why they were on the run. If your grandma had a child by another man why would they husband want the child?

Were uncle's parents correct on the BC except for the surname?

I would write a letter to the BMD Registrar explaining the whole situation. Provide the school rolls, uncles BC, the made up cert and death cert and anything else you have. I think it would be best to go in person but it's a bit far for you to go.
Old 07-06-10, 01:29

Yes.......Mum asked for Bowler BC for herself.

Elizabeth Kettley married Bill Thompson. She then left Bill Thompson and took the children (they were Bill's).

Elizabeth met Michael Bowler and went with him. Michael (my grandfather) brought up the Thompson children as his, although I believe they always used the name Thompson. They did for later marriage certs etc, anyway.

Elizabeth and Michael were hiding from Bill Thompson as he would have atken his children back.

I'd say they registered Mum's brother as Boland because it was close in sound to Bowler. My uncle certainly didn't know he was enrolled at school as Boland. I suppose he was only called by his first name and if anyone said "Boland" it sounded like "Bowler".

So.......I'm wondering if Mum's birth was registered under Boland.

Sorry.......this is very confusing......lol
Old 07-06-10, 02:36

It may be me Libby.

I'd still write and explain the situation and see what the registrar says. The worst will be no.

I really wish I'd been into this hobby of ours when I was very, very young. The lady behind us was either the Registrar or high up in the BMD.
Old 07-06-10, 06:11

I'm obviously missing something here, Libby.

If your mum was Bill Thompson's eldest child, why would she have not been registered as a Thompson? I can understand why Elizabeth and Michael would have tried to hide the children by using a name similar to his (Michael's) at their schools etc......but surely the original birth certificate would have been made out in the husband's name...since she stayed with him long enough to have a second child.

Or have I got things totally wrong????
Old 07-06-10, 06:18

Libby,

Have you tried using the NSW BDM search service ?
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHist...gistrySearches

Just tell them your mum's name and date of birth, as far as you know and ask them to search 1925-1930. You could say BOLAND/BOWLER, just be unsure of the spelling.

When I requested 1950s death certs, before the indexes after 1945 were released, all I had to provide was a copy of my Drivers Licence, and a good reason. It might be different for a birth cert but if you can provide death cert and your details you might be okay.

I had them do two searches for my ggf Robert Martin - I gave them the index numbers and they looked at them to see if any details matched. The man, Mr Smith at the time, was very helpful in providing feed back as to why the numbers were wrong.

Perhaps an email or phone call to ascertain the circumstances in which you might be able to get your mums birth cert, or have you asked already ?

Di

Last edited by marquette; 07-06-10 at 06:21.
Old 07-06-10, 06:19

Bev......Mum was Michael Bowler's eldest child with Elizabeth.

Bill Thompsons, children were Thelma and Olive. They were a few years older than Mum.