Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 23-02-11, 19:29

George Savage 1882 (drowned)
I'm back Our daughter has been very poorly since last September,, delighted to type,is now much better.

I have made considerable progress in my quest on my great uncle,George Savage. I now know more of why he drowned,thanks to that truly amazing web site Papers Past..New Zealand.

It was implied,at one stage that George had been horrifically murdered,at which point, a Police Sergeant was despatched to make further enquiries.

Sadly, a while later,George's body was found face down on the river bank. Because of the putrid state of his body,George was interred the following day in the Kihikihi cemetery (now closed). Later,there was a sale of his personal belongings and property by auction.

Having my uncle's (copy) death certificate, in a way gives 'closure.' Well, it would.Being so far away, I am now looking into the background surrounding George Savage. his short time of 4 years in N.Zealand. Of Mr Francis Edward Tole who was a gentleman of over 2,200 acres. Was his land farming land? fruit or wine land?

The Pinui River, is there a place called 'Pinui'? What does the name translate too & can I locate the River on a map? What sort of area does/did the river run through, how wide and deep is the river?

No doubt,there will be more questions to follow.

Many thanks

Last edited by archives 1; 25-02-11 at 19:18. Reason: word missing
Old 24-02-11, 04:55
Administrator

The only place I can find is a Pinui Creek on the Kaipara Harbour north of Auckland. It appears that Francis Edward Tole was in Hurinui which is that sort of area.
http://www.kaipara2kaipara.co.nz/ind...page=night-two

http://www.eske-style.co.nz/areas/kaipara/kaipara.asp

There is wine grown in the area now but it is mostly dairy and beef now, back then it would have been farming and kauri gum digging.

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 24-02-11, 14:12

Cool Many thanks

Thank you KiwiChris for your kind information. Yes, farming would be correct, George coming from a family with strong farming roots (excuse the pun ) My great grandfather was a farmer with,in those days, land he bought,plus a few cows to start with. Thus, grand-dad David Savage continued farming 'for life.' In grand-dad's last will & testament, he bequeathed his farm be sold and divided between his 5 sons,with a 'rider' that his beloved wife be given a set amount quarterly each year for life.

Why did George leave his home? No one knows. I need to log into the Latter Day Saints ships sailing site to see if,from that,there might be a clue..did George go as 3rd class passenger,or,steerage? Was his passage paid for by Mr.Tole,or an agent on his behalf? I surmise that,possibly George traveled alone.

Although I do have a vast amount of information on my great uncle,somehow,I feel there may be more.Not on George hmself, but the land/life he journeyed to ? It is this information I am seeking.

Thank you so much for your kind help.

Fingers crossed..the postcard shows you Frodsham in Cheshire (my lovely home village) around the time George left England. The photograph is looking down The Rock toward the village proper..Main Street.

I have many more olde Frodsham postcards in my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg assorted pictures 409.jpg (46.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 25-02-11, 20:35

Does anyone know the www for the Latter Day Saints immigration shipping information ? I'm looking at 1877/ 1878

many thanks
Old 25-02-11, 21:53
Administrator

This should take you to it:
New Zealand ship passenger lists 1871 - 1915

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 26-02-11, 20:07

Thumbs up Searching the ships c1877-1878

Thank you KiteRunner for your fantastic www.Ships site. Not foung the Latter Day Saints site yet.this site is extremely informative even so.

I wonder if those immigrants had any concept of how long the journey, the difficulties especially if the weather was not 'calm.'

Many thanks for your kind assistance..

I will keep you updated with my progress.
Old 27-02-11, 20:16

Thumbs up shipping lines

Safety harness attached, sea sickness pills to hand, I am now ready to trawl the shipping lines.
Old 02-03-11, 07:15
tenterfieldjulie

I hope your seasickness is over lol and that your daughter is continuing to improve Archives 1.
What I have realised since joing GF, is that if ag labs, or those working in farming, did not want to have to move into industrial towns/cities in order to survive, they took the option of migrating.
I'm not sure if you have listened to it but Mark Dudley has posted a great thread on this general theme. If you check his posts under Member's List you should find it. It is a BBC talk from experts in this field and is most informative and interesting.
Old 03-03-11, 14:43

Thumbs up My late great uncle, George Savage.

Reading there was mention in the Grey River Argus, sounds like George Savage's disappearance was 'big news'.This could well be because of the continuing concerns between the native New Zealander and in-coming settlers?

A copy of George Savage's death certificate is now at the Records Office in Chester,Cheshire,England. The same place as his birth and baptism records, census records too up till and including 1871. George Savage's father's 'Last will and testament 'is also at the Records Office..In a way, father and son are re-united.