Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 15-12-09, 11:51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Hmmm......maybe I've gone wrong somewhere?
Well, not that wrong as the marriage between Eliza Fairbrass and William Maunder is also on the LMA records and that has her as a 24 year old widow (six years after she was aged 21!) the dau of Humphrey Enoch, weaver. The marriage was 2nd June 1850 at St Peter's, Walworth in the parish of St Mary, Newington. Their address, Pitt Street, Newington, is on the marriage cert for both of them and is the same on the 1851 census.

Of course I have been a dumbo about the children thing, as in 1851 they had Emma aged 2 and I was thinking she was William Maunder's child, but she was actually Samuel Fairbrass's child! Whoops. She isn't with them aged 12 though.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-12-09, 13:33
Administrator

Did the daughter, Emma, marry James Williams?

The last I've seen of Eliza and William Maunder is on the 1871 census when they are in Lambeth (both recorded as aged 41). After this I lost them.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-12-09, 19:27
Administrator

According to Hugh Wallis, Abingdon baptisms for the right period are included in the IGI, but I can't see Eliza in there.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-12-09, 19:41
Administrator

There are two parishes in Abingdon - St Nicholas and St Helen, but possibly only St Nicholas is on the IGI (one batch seems to be unnamed, but the date of it follows on from the other St Nicholas batch). Humphrey Enoch is living in St Helen's parish on the 1841-1861 census.

Old 15-12-09, 19:43
Administrator

Ah, that could explain it.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 16-12-09, 22:52
Len of the Chilterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I've found the banns for her marriage on ancestry - 4th, 11th and 18th August 1844 at St George the Martyr. Then they married on the 25th August 1844 - her surname is spelt Enock on the actual marriage entry. Her age is given as 21, father Humphrey Enock, weaver. Her residence is given as John Street, and the witnesses were Robert Saunders and Elizabeth Saunders. In case you don't have Samuel's details, he was 22, a painter, also lived at John Street, father Thomas Loveday Fairbrass, painter.
Thank you.

I have a tremendous amount of information on the Fairbrass family, including Samuel who was one of seven children of Thomas F. (b abt 1796 d, 1866) and Sarah Cleaver. but for some reason have never got round to following up Eliza. The Fairbrass tree goes back to the 1500s in Kent although the name was originally Farbrace. I have several photos of their daughter Emma Kate.

My apologies to Eliza for overlooking her.
Old 16-12-09, 22:59
Len of the Chilterns

Quote:
Did the daughter, Emma, marry James Williams?

The last I've seen of Eliza and William Maunder is on the 1871 census when they are in Lambeth (both recorded as aged 41). After this I lost them.
Yes, the daughter Emma Kate Fairbrass 1868-1930 (who was in service to the Maunders) married James Williams1846-1893 in St Mary Magdalene Oxford on March 10 1868. They lived in Abingdon, which was then in BRK.,and had 14 children
Old 18-12-09, 21:40
Len of the Chilterns

Quote:
Did Samuel die in 1849 and Eliza remarry in 1850?
Samuel Fairbrass b. 6 April 1822 d. 3 December1848 at 33 Salisbury St Lockfields, Newington, Surrey m Eliza Enoch abt. Sept 1844.
Their daughter Emma Kate (aka Kate) b 17 July 1848 at 33 York Place, Pitt St, Walworth Surrey d. 5 April 1930 at 29 Spring Road, Abingdon Brk. I met Kate several times (that dates me). She had a horrid Pomeranean dog called Leo with whom I shared a mutual dislike. 8 of her 14 children survived to adulthood, the 8th being my mother.

My cousin Alan has written a history of the Williams Family of Abingdon and in it he remarks that Eliza's father Humphrey Enoch was a "weaver". Also, the cause of Samuel's death was "haemorrhage into abdomen from ruptured spleen after 4½ days" and queries if he had fallen (being a painter and glazier). He also remarks that six months later Eliza remarried. Her new husband was William Maunder and they were married on 2nd June 1850 at St Peters Church in Walworth, he being described as a batchelor and she a widow.

This shows I was wrong in my above post and should pay more attention.

Last edited by Len of the Chilterns; 18-12-09 at 21:57.
Old 18-12-09, 21:48
Administrator

Quote:
I have no record of her remarrying.
This is the marriage:

Marriages Jun 1850
Barnes Georgiana Newington 4 464
Clay Mary Newington 4 464
Davis Sarah Newington 4 464
Fairbrass Eliza Newington 4 464 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Gunning George Newington 4 464
Maunder William Newington 4 464 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Richardson Coling James Newington 4 464
Twyford Thomas Francis Newington 4 464

Old 20-12-09, 22:20
Len of the Chilterns

Merry
Emma Kate Williams (nee Fairbrass) was my grandmother, my mother being Mildred Alice Williams.

To quote from my cousin Alan William's account (condensed):

When Emma Kate was 2, her mother Eliza remarried to William Maunders. He was a baker aged 23 and his address at the time of the marriage on 2nd June 1850 was 33 Pitt Street, Walworth and it was the same address where Emma Kate was born in 1848. The marriage was at St Peter's Church, Walworth. He was a batchelor and she a widow.
Her age on the cert, was given as 24 though she was already 21 at the time of her first marriage in 1844.
The marriage of Eliza to William Maunder explains a family mystery whereby two of Emma Kate's children's birth certs. gave her maiden name as Maunders (sic) although Fairbrass appears on the birth certs of other children.
Although "Emma Kate" was registered on birth as "Emma", "Kate" appeared on her marriage and death cert. She was generally known as Kate.

If you would like to borrow a copy "The Williams Family of Abingdon" by Alan Williams, please PM me. It consists of 55 sheets of A4 with cover in a spiral binder.

Tags
togg5