Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 20-12-09, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
When the marriage cert arrives for Joseph and Grace I wonder who Joseph will have as fathers name.

Hopefully Thomas.
Just got back today from a couple of days away and I now have the cert. So here goes................

10 December 1912 at the Register Office, Fulham.

Joseph Thomas Patrick Lynch, widower aged 39, author of 33 Lillie Road, Fulham, father Thomas Lynch, author (deceased).

Married....

Grace Mary Compton, widow aged 40 years of 63 Halford Road, Fulham, father William James Richard Green, master mariner (deceased).

Witnesses: Sydney Bower or Bowen, Annie J. Bower or Bowen and Violet Henderson.

I've not looked at the witnesses yet but the key things I take from this are that:

- he is the same one who married Margaret Swallow (although his age and place of birth are inconsistent)
- he is definitely related in some way to my great grandmother - same surname, similar age, both down as born Bradford on the 1911 and she was living in a side road off Lillie Road in 1911
- he could be her brother but something is not quite right - family stories hinting at scandal, their father's names don't match (exactly)

All theories welcome !!
Old 20-12-09, 22:44

Half siblings?

Maybe one parent was a bit naughty somewhere along the line.
Old 20-12-09, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
Half siblings?

Maybe one parent was a bit naughty somewhere along the line.
Now THAT wouldn't surprise me Marg

If I had to guess then they are probably brother and sister. My mother knows nothing at all about her grandmother having siblings though - it was never mentioned.

I'm also guessing that the scandal is fairly simple. Margaret Lynch had an illegitimate son with Alfred Leon and he was both married and a generation older than her.

I can understand that Margaret managed to avoid both the registration of her son's birth and the 1901 census if she was on tour with her fellow artistes, but where she, Joseph and their father were on previous censuses is beyond me.

Thanks again for your help in this and all of the other contributors to this thread.
Old 21-12-09, 12:15
Administrator

My guess is that Margaret knew her brother was named for their father (in part) and so she gave her father the full fleet of forenames when she married, but in fact dad was just plain Thomas, as this would be more likely at the date he must have been born.

So, dad is an author now! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-12-09, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
My guess is that Margaret knew her brother was named for their father (in part) and so she gave her father the full fleet of forenames when she married, but in fact dad was just plain Thomas, as this would be more likely at the date he must have been born.

So, dad is an author now! lol
Yes - promoted from artiste to author !!!

I guess the other possibility is that the father did have all three forenames and was known as Thomas.

Tags
togg5