Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 08-06-12, 14:03
Administrator

Default Thomas Salter

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Thomas Salter
Date and place of birth 1753 Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Names of parents Farrow Salter and Esther nee Mason
Date and place of baptism - if applicable 12 Aug 1753 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 12 Nov 1775 at St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, to Judith Rogers, witnesses Henry Brown and Christian Salter.
Occupation(s) - if any Mariner, Ship Owner and Ship Broker
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
Up to 1785 - Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
1801 onwards - Horsleydown / Bermondsey, Surrey / London
1816 - Thomas Street, Horsleydown
1808 office at 7 Ball Alley, Lombard Street, London
1811 office at 1 Nag's Head Court, Gracechurch St., London

Date, place and cause of death May 1816 Horsleydown, not got cause
Date and place of burial. 8 May 1816 St John's, Horsleydown, age 64
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Will written 28 Jan 1814 and proved 25 May 1816, executors named as son Robert Salter, daughter Mary Besant (widow) and John Ewer Gowing of Queen Street, Horsleydown, ship owner. Probate was granted to Robert Salter and John Ewer Gowing with power reserved to Mary Ferrier formerly Besant, the wife of James Ferrier. Will mentions property in Great Yarmouth and a sister Sarah Salter.
Memorial inscription - if any Not found. Graveyard does not exist any more.

Link to wife's thread:
Judith Rogers

Link to daughter's thread:Mary Salter

I haven't found any direct proof that Thomas was the son of Farrow and Esther but a lot of things which all add up together to make me almost certain. Farrow Salter and Esther Mason got married 21 Sep 1751 at Great Yarmouth but the first baptism of a child of theirs that I have found is Esther in 1759. They were non-conformists, and it could be that the baptism records of their first few children have just not survived. There is a likely burial for Esther in Horsleydown - Hester Salter buried 10 Dec 1805, age 74. Farrow and Esther did have a daughter Sarah. There is a Christian Salter whose baptism I can't find either, who married a Robert Lilly in 1775 in Great Yarmouth with one of the witnesses being a Judith Salter, and then married a Samuel Moore in 1789, also in Great Yarmouth, with one of the witnesses being a Farrow Salter. Her will names Robert Salter as executor without leaving him anything, and mentions sister Sarah Salter and some nieces who turn out to be the daughters of Rebecca, another daughter of Farrow and Esther. So it seems very likely that Christian was Thomas's sister and that they were both children of Farrow and Esther. Neither Farrow nor Esther seems to have left a will so I can't see a way of proving 100% that Thomas was their son unless a baptism turns up.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 03-09-21 at 17:08. Reason: add birth and baptism details
Old 29-01-13, 19:10
Administrator

I was amazed to find that Thomas's baptism is now on FreeREG! Thomas Salter baptised 12 Aug 1753 at St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, son of Farrow and Esther. I'm trying to find the image on FamilySearch now but having no luck at the moment. I'm sure quite a few people have looked in the parish registers and AT's for him before and never found him, so a big thank you to FreeREG!

(Edit - found the image now, no 180 of the Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1721-1754 in the PR's)

Old 29-01-13, 19:14

Well done, FreeReg! I hope this enables you to get further back, Kate. A nice unusual Christian name to research with.
Old 29-01-13, 19:19
Administrator

I don't think it will help me get further back, Elizabeth, as I already had his parents' names, but it is nice to have the baptism at last.

Tags
to4g45