Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 26-11-10, 10:14
Administrator

Default Robert Galway

Oh dear, one I know almost nothing about this week.

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Robert Galway or maybe Gawley / Gourley
Date and place of birth Don't know
Names of parents Don't know
Date and place of baptism - if applicable Don't know
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any to Margaret McCann in or before 1826
Occupation(s) - if any Don't know
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!). Killead, Antrim, Ireland
Date, place and cause of death Don't know
Date and place of burial. Don't know
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Don't know
Memorial inscription - if any Don't know

All I do know about Robert is that his son John Galway or John Robert Galway was born in "Killade, County Antrim", about 1826 (from John's army papers). Presumably this means Killead.

There is a Robert Gawley listed at Ballynadrintagh, Killead Parish, in the Tithe Applotment Books in 1827. Also a William Gawley and a Charles Gawley. I've only seen the index entries on ancestry so I don't know if there is info in the actual books that would help. There don't seem to be any Galways or Gawleys there in Griffith's Valuation. Edit - William Gawley registered a freehold at Ballynadrentagh in 1829 (from Belfast Newsletter).

There is a Galway family at Killead (Ballynadrentagh Townland) on the 1851 Antrim census:
Susan age 24, Rodger 28 away in India in the 64th Regt. Foot, Eliza 22, Peter 19 and Alex 14, but it shows their deceased parents as Alexander and Elizabeth who both died in 1847 of fever, aged 53 and 55 respectively. Alexander could be my Robert's brother, or not. But probably not as this family seems to be Roman Catholic and mine more likely Presbyterian. Birthplace for Susan, Eliza, Peter and Alex is Antrim.

There is also a Nancy Galway, yarn spinner, listed at Killead on the 1851 Antrim census, having died in Dec 1844 of old age age 84, aunt of Nancy McGolpin age 35 unmarried.

There is a Robert Galway who died 23 May 1872 at Belfast workhouse, age 89, widower, labourer, death registered by workhouse official. No idea whether it is the same Robert or not.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 22-01-19 at 10:44. Reason: add possible death info
Old 18-11-14, 23:44
Administrator

I found this on TNA:

Reference:
WO 119/33/184
Description:
ROBERT GAWLEY alias ROBERT GALLEY; ROBERT GALLY.
Born KILLEAD, Antrim.
Served in Londonderry Militia; 8th Royal Veteran Battalion.
Discharged aged 41.
Covering dates give year of enlistment to year of discharge.
Kilmainham Reference: A9687.
Date: 1806-1821

I looked at the papers on FMP but there is nothing to confirm whether or not he was the father of my John Galway. But I will have to try searching everywhere for Galley and Gally now as I didn't know about those variants of the surname before.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Tags
to3g5