Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 29-05-13, 16:04

Default Survey from Ancestry regarding Old Search

Had an email today from Ancestry asking me to take part in a survey and give reasons why I prefer the Old search. Part of the email suggests there is a new simulator:

"If you have Firefox. You'll need to install a Firefox add-on and a few scripts. (Don't worry. We'll walk you through it.) After you've had a chance to try the simulator with a few different searches, you'll be asked to take the survey. Use this link to start the setup process: http://www.ancestryux.net/test/osx/O...Simulator.html. (If Firefox is not your default Web browser, you'll need to copy this link into a Firefox browser.)"

That link to do the survey on Firefox did not work so I had to do the survey in IE and have not had chance to try the simulator. I do some voluntary work at the local FHC and we have to use the library edition which only has the New search. I get so frustrated not getting the results I can get easily at home using the Old search.

Did anyone else get this email?

Pat
Old 29-05-13, 16:21
Administrator

I haven't had it (yet), Pat. What is a simulator?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 29-05-13, 16:31

Here is the whole email copy & pasted:

We're contacting members like you who primarily use Old Search. Although we've done other surveys in the past, we are still interested in learning about what makes Old Search so valuable to you. To help us understand some of these issues, we've created a tool for Firefox Web browsers which simulates some key features of Old Search (within our "new search") and a short survey to collect feedback from subscribers like you.

Would you be willing to help us?

If you have Firefox. You'll need to install a Firefox add-on and a few scripts. (Don't worry. We'll walk you through it.) After you've had a chance to try the simulator with a few different searches, you'll be asked to take the survey. Use this link to start the setup process: http://www.ancestryux.net/test/osx/O...Simulator.html. (If Firefox is not your default Web browser, you'll need to copy this link into a Firefox browser.)
If you don't have Firefox. Simply click here to take the survey.

Thanks for your help and insights,
Ancestry.com Product Team

I presume the simulator will make the new search look like the old search. Could not give it a go as Firefox is not my default browser and the link would not work.

I also got rather tongue tied trying to tell them why I prefer the old search.

Pat
Old 29-05-13, 16:48
Administrator

I've tried copying and pasting your link into Firefox, Pat, but it doesn't work.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 29-05-13, 19:06

I'm just fed up with getting so many obviously wrong results even when I've put the right criteria in.

In fact I couldn't find a census that someone found for me until I put the reference in on the old search,
Old 07-06-13, 02:03

I often search through my FTM program but now can not find the link to the old search and it is killing me. I hate the new search with a passion and no link to the old search is awful.

I did fill out a short survey on the new system and just kept saying prefer the old one.