Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 22-07-14, 09:30

Default What do you make of this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1097...my-father.html

Didn't think they could do that.

Last edited by JBee; 22-07-14 at 09:37.
Old 22-07-14, 11:21

She has set a precedent with this ruling. I can sort of understand why she wanted to do it, but there must be thousands of children conceived by AID (or by other methods!) who wouldn't have the means to have their birth certificate changed even if they wanted to.

I feel quite disturbed by this ruling. Suppose her presumed father was dead and she only had her mother's word that he was not her biological father. How would proof be obtained then? There must be many people out there that have doubts over their parentage (thinking especially about teenagers during a row with their parents) particularly if there are no obvious likenesses between the father and child.

We all deserve to know our roots but at what cost?

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 22-07-14, 14:08
Administrator

I wonder if the ruling would have been the same if her parents had been married at the time of her birth?

A few years ago (I don't know about now) a child born to married parents was considered to be the child of those parents in legal terms, regardless of who the biological father was unless someone else was named on the birth cert.

So, now they are triplets with two of them having a father named and the other not. Hmmmm........

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-07-14, 15:01

Merry, I was wondering that about her brothers, as well!
Old 22-07-14, 16:41

I think it's fair and right and I feel sorry for her that she can't get the details of her biological father. However, I don't really get her need to do it.
Old 22-07-14, 22:06

Oh, what a can of worms. I do wonder what she expects from her "donor father" if she should ever identify him. Does she expect to have a meaningful relationship with him? She is very angry, isn't she, but not with her mother, just with the man who is named on her BC.

As someone pointed out on another forum, the name of your father on your birth certificate reflects the name of the man who has legal responsibility for you - and that is not always your biological father.

I do understand what motivates a woman to go to such lengths to have a child...but did she think of this kind of fall out, where people are getting hurt?

OC
Old 22-07-14, 22:40

I pity the children of all these different scenario's. Gay parents, donor eggs, donor sperm, surrogate mothers etc etc. Heard there's likely to be babies born with 3 parents in the near future - there will be some confused children growing up.
Old 22-07-14, 22:51
Administrator

I was looking for some info about my (half-)great aunt's brother in law, the American painter George Copeland Ault, a couple of weeks ago and found some stuff on Google books about him which included a story he told his wife about how his father (Charles Ault) was friends with a childless couple when the Ault family were living in England (end of 19th / start of 20th century) and he offered his services to the wife, erm, in the old-fashioned sperm donation method, and was taken up on the offer. I never finished reading the story as I got sidetracked (and it was one of those "snippet view" things that takes ages to winkle out of Google books) so I will try again tomorrow. But anyway, sperm donation is not as new as you might think!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-07-14, 23:12

They do say that you only know for certain who the baby's mother is!!!!! but that's not true now is it?
Old 23-07-14, 07:01
Administrator

Artist in Woodstock: George Ault, the Independent Years, by Louise Ault

page 96
For the first time he told me the story his father had revealed to no one but him: In London, before 1911, the senior Aults had among their friends a childless couple who longed for children. It came about that Charles Henry talked privately with the childless wife, after which they lay together once, and in due time a son was born. Later, just once again, and a second son arrived. The husband believed them to be his and raised them, and it was a happy family. In private, the wife gave Charles Henry a photograph of each of the boys.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update