Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 23-07-14, 08:31

About 40 years ago I had friends who were desperate for children. They had been married for 5 years and had had tests (such as they were back then) which showed the husband had a low sperm count making it theoretically possible, but unlikely, that he could father a child. To cut a long story short, an old friend of the wife, who didn't want the responsibility of children, offered his services and a child was conceived and born. Three years later another child was conceived and born. Although I have lost touch with them over the years, as far as I know the husband and the (now adult) children still believe that the husband, who is named on both birth certificates as the father, is the biological father.

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 23-07-14, 10:50

Sue

and where is the harm in that? The problems start when someone discovers the truth.

When I was a child we had neighbours who lost their only child in very tragic circumstances. They had been married many years before she appeared and was their "little miracle". After this tragedy, the wife suddenly became pregnant with twins and my mum told me (when I was an adult!) that she had used AID (artificial insemination by a donor, for thise of you born in a post-AIDS era!).

OC
Old 23-07-14, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Sue

and where is the harm in that? The problems start when someone discovers the truth.

When I was a child we had neighbours who lost their only child in very tragic circumstances. They had been married many years before she appeared and was their "little miracle". After this tragedy, the wife suddenly became pregnant with twins and my mum told me (when I was an adult!) that she had used AID (artificial insemination by a donor, for thise of you born in a post-AIDS era!).

OC
Exactly OC. What's the saying? Anyone can father a child but it takes a special man to be a father to a child.

AID was the only official way to go back in the 1960s/1970s (pre DNA testing days) and many students donated their sperm for a fee to supplement their studies. They were promised lifelong anonymity and ,although it possibly brings/brought its own problems, it was the only way to go for most couples where the male was infertile - apart from the 'natural' way with a willing male friend of course!

Sue at Langley Vale