Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 02-11-14, 01:49
tenterfieldjulie

Default O'Connor/Connors, Patrick Glenaster, Ardagh, Co. Limerick, Ireland OH MMF

Name: O’Connor/Connors, Patrick
Date and place of birth: C 1836 Glenaster townland, Ardagh, Co Limerick, Ireland (from age at death)
Names of parents: Unknown
Date and place of baptism: RC, probably Ardagh, Co. Limerick, Ireland
Marriage: 28 January 1858 RC Ardagh, Co. Limerick, Ireland to Bridget Kennelly (have marriage certificate with no further information)
Occupation(s): farmer Glenaster
Military service: Unknown
Addresses: Glenaster, near Ardagh, Co Limerick, Ireland
Date, place and cause of death: Between April and June 1898 Glenaster, Co Limerick, Ireland
Date and place of burial: RC Churchyard, Ardagh, Co. Limerick, Ireland
Details of will: Not found
Memorial inscription: Not found

Children: Annie m Jeremiah O’ Sullivan C1859-1919 brd Ben Lomond NSW; Bridget DNM 1862-1936 brd Sydney NSW; Patrick m Catherine O’Brien C1863 -1926 brd Sydney NSW; Ellen m Mathew McDonagh 1864-1932 brd Ben Lomond, NSW; Francis (Frank) m Mary Ambrose 1866-1945 Glenaster, Ardagh, Co. Limerick; Catherine m Cornelius Toohey 1868-1952 brd Sydney, NSW; Mary m Martin Casey 1870-1940 brd Sydney NSW; John m Annie McMahon 1872-1960 brd Sydney NSW; Michael m Catherine Dalton 1878-1913 died Sydney NSW; Maggie C1882 Lizzie C1884 living Glenaster 1901 Census.
Old 03-11-14, 08:49
Administrator

Does "brd" mean buried, please, Julie?

And do you have baptism records for his children? If so, are there names of sponsors / godparents who could be relatives of Patrick's?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-11-14, 08:53
Administrator

The Irish will calendars are searchable online but I can't find him listed:

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarc.../cwa/index.jsp

Old 03-11-14, 08:55
Administrator

Also, just wondering how you know where he was born if you don't have his baptism record, Julie?

Old 03-11-14, 10:05
tenterfieldjulie

Kate if you look up the thread Limerick born grandmother Ellen O'Connor you will see all the information that you found. Unfortunately I do not have any other birth/baptism records to give connections. Can you tell me where to look for these?
I think I put that Patrick being born at Glenaster townland because the O'Connor's had been at that townland for generations.
The death record (which I need to find again .. gave me an age at death)..
Old 03-11-14, 10:10
Administrator

That's a long thread! I may be some time reading back through it for the baptisms etc.

Presumably it is this post of mine that you mean:
Nearest I can see is a death registration for a Patrick Connors Apr-Jun 1898 Limerick age 62, vol 5, p 276.

But do we know for sure that is him?

Old 03-11-14, 10:16
tenterfieldjulie

Not 100% Kate .. we know he died before 1901 Census and was alive C1884, from Lizzie's age in the 1901 Census .. I need to buy information .. I'm just a little hesitant after buying the marriage cert and the only extra info I got was the day and month of their marriage. However I would really like to find out more. I am going to need to spend some money, even if only to eliminate information.. What would you suggest please? Julie
Old 03-11-14, 10:38
tenterfieldjulie

This is a summary of what we found before

Marriage cert - Patrick O'Connor and Bridget Kinely at Ardagh, Co. Limerick, 28 January 1858 ..

2 baptisms certs for 1838 for Bridget Kennelly Co Limerick:
at Askeaton Father John Mother Bridget Sullivan;
at Kilcolman & Coolcappagh Father Michael Mother Maria Downey.

Roots Ireland has a baptism for a Bridget O'Connor 1862 Ardagh (RC), Co Limerick, parents Patrick and Bridget

Family Search:
Birth Ellon Connors (female) 13 Jan 1864 Ardagh, Limerick, father Patrick Connors, mother Bridget Kennelly.
Birth Francis Connors 27 Apr 1866 Ardagh and Athea, Limerick, father Patrick Connors, mother Bridget Kennelly.
Birth Catherine Connors- 12 May 1868 Ardagh, Limerick, father Patrick Connors, mother Bridget Kennelly.
Birth Mary Connors, 27 Jun 1870, Limerick, father Patrick Connors, mother Bridget Kennelly Connors.

Birth Certificate
DoB 23/6/1872 Glenastar, Name John, Father Patrick OConnor Glenastar, Mother Bridget OConnor formerly Kennelly, Rank or Profession of Father Farmer; Signature of informant Patt OConnors father Glenastar; Reg 5/7/1872.

1901 Census
Bridget O'Connor Head of Family 62 yrs 6 months Farmer, widow
John O'Connor Son 26 Farm Labourer Not married
Michael O'Connor Son 22 Farm Labourer Not married
Maggie O'Connor Daughter 18 yrs 4 months General Servant Not married
Lizzie O'Connor Daughter 16 yrs 5 months General Servant Not married
All Roman Catholic, born Co Limerick.

Summary: Bridget said she had 11 living children in 1901 Census (Kate's post 8). Records were found for 10 through different sources: Shipping (Ann); Birth/Baptisms (Bridget, Ellen, Francis, Catherine, Mary, John, Michael); 1901 Census (Margaret(Maggie), Elizabeth (Lizzie). You would think there would be a Patrick in there, either born before or after Francis. There was .. we found them on Trove through obits and death notices .. but much harder to find in Ireland.

Patrick O’Connor died 20/8/1926 aged 65 yrs parents Patrick and Bridget buried Rookwood with family members. Would make him the oldest boy C1861. This fits with shipping record for a Patrick O'Connor, aged 26 (b1861), arrived 17/10/1887 on the "Austral".

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 03-11-14 at 10:52.
Old 03-11-14, 12:32
Administrator

Baptisms for Bridget jr, Ellen, Francis, Catherine and Mary are available on the Roots Ireland site (pay to view):
http://limerick.rootsireland.ie/search.php

They also list a James in 1872; maybe he was baptised as James but registered as John?

I don't know what extra information it will show you for each baptism. If you have any credits left on that site you can use them to view the records (25 credits per record) but if not, they don't sell credits any more, only subscriptions. The cheapest is 1 month for 25 Euros and you can choose "single payment subscription" which means it won't automatically renew.

The cost of credits used to be 73 for 10 Euros so it would cost you about the same to view those 6 baptisms now as it would before, but in the old days you could have bought fewer credits to start with to view just 1 record and see whether it would be worth it to view the rest. But if you do subscribe, you will be able to look at loads of other records so hopefully you would find enough to make it worth the cost.

Old 03-11-14, 19:35
tenterfieldjulie

Many thanks Kate I will make time in the next few days and buy a sub and see what I can find. Julie