Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 19-03-11, 00:18
tenterfieldjulie

Received the Marriage Certificate and it says nothing about Emily Banham. It is definitely the marriage of John McCrohon, Sergeant in 4th Regt. of Foot to Emily Banham of this parish by banns. Emily signs with a mark. If it was the wrong name she wouldn't have known. We know for sure when an where they married, but not whether it was her maiden nameor surname. If we could find the marriage of Emily to Banham - the parents of the child born in Barbados, it would help.
Old 19-03-11, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenterfieldjulie View Post
It is possible that the headstone is there Libby and I didn't find it, or that it was there and disintergrated, or that it is now unreadable, as lots are. I'll buy the certificate many thanks, but I don't think there will be much on it somehow. Many thanks for finding it.
I doubt there is a headstone Julie. All the Hunter graveyards have been well documented. Hyland (Hiland) Cres is completely done.
Old 19-03-11, 02:04

I did a quick Trove search but only found two mentions of Thomas Keefe or Okeefe at Swan Reach in the Maitland Mercury which started in 1843.

"Love the accent Rosie .. I'm sorry she was buried by then. From memory her first son was born 1829 and later they came to Australia. It's 11.20 pm and I'm a tad tired.."

Did you mean Mme and Mr Ducroix came to Aus as well as their daughter ? Whose first son was born in 1829 ?
Old 19-03-11, 03:52
tenterfieldjulie

The only thing we know about the name Ducroix, is that it has always been said it was Emily's maiden name. (Ammanda and I have both posted about the McCrohons). Briefly the McCrohon family came to Australia with the Kings Own Regiment. John was born 1795 Limerick, enlisted at Cueta as a 15 yr old, 25/5/1810. His service was 3 yrs in Portugal & Africa, 2 years in France, 6 yrs 391 days in West Indies (5/4/1819-1/4/1826), Married at Chatham in June 1826 and then served 1 year and 3 months in Portugal (where son John born) and then 3 years 6 months in NSW. After resigning from the Regiment, John joined the Police Force at Paterson in NSW where he was killed in a horse accident on 6/5/1839.
I have never seen documentary evidence of the birth of John McCrohon who was born in Portugal. I have his death cert which says he was born there. I wonder if there could be anything on the baptism...

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 19-03-11 at 03:56.
Old 19-03-11, 03:56

Just logged on and missed all the fun.
Marquette: First born son of John McCrohon and Emily Banham was John Patrick Mccrohon born Portugal 25-Jul-1827.
No, the DuCroix parents did not come to Australia. We don't even know if DuCroix was Emily's surname.
When the marriage record was found for John McCrohon and Emily Banham it was the first anyone knew that DuCroix was not her name. Julie and I had hoped that the certificate would give a clue if she was single or a window. If a widow then there is a chance that DuCroix was her maiden name.
I am convinced that this is their marriage, especially as John was just back from the West Indies and the first born came alone in just over a year after the regiment was sent to Portugal.
If the certificate says that Emily Banham was 'of the Parish' then she was from St Thomas Winchester. That is a clue. Back to the Hampshire records.
Old 19-03-11, 04:03
tenterfieldjulie

We cross posted Ammanda. I only think "of this parish" means she lived there, not that she was born there, because it also says that John McCrohon was of this parish. We know he was born in Limerick and had only got back from the West Indies on 1 April 1826 and they were married mid June.
Old 19-03-11, 04:27

Thanks for looking, Libby. I did not find her marriage to O'Keeffe but I think I found the marriage of Rose Anne O'Keeffe to James Fitzgerald in 1875 at Morpeth. They had a bunch of kids.
Margaret may have married a William Sharpe and had six kids at Liverpool and one at Morpeth.
Old 19-03-11, 04:31

I think you only had to be in the parish a very short time to be "of the parish". Three months comes to mind, but I've no idea why.

You all play with this....I've got to go out.

PS.......I'd still buy that death cert on the off chance.
Old 19-03-11, 04:36

Hey, Julie: Humm! I see what you mean. I wonder, if the regiment was in Chatham, why he was living in Winchester. On leave and courting his lady love?
I have had no luck with the possible marriage of Emily to Thomas, I think was his name, Banham. Even checking all the spelling variations.
It is very disappointing that there was no more information on the certificate but at least I am convinced that this is the marriage as it all fits. Thanks for ordering it Julie.
Libby said she found Amelia O'keeffe on the index. Do you know where she found the record?
I am not thinking very clearly as it is late here. Boy, must be really late, or early in Oz.
Off to bed. I'll think about it tomorrow, as tomorrow is another day.
Good night Scarlet.
Old 19-03-11, 04:40
tenterfieldjulie

Yes I will buy the death cert Libby. I'm wondering if I should buy an original or a cheap transcript?
The marriage is: John McCrohon of this Parish, Sergeant in 4th Reg of Foot and Emily Banham of this Parish, were married by Banns 23/6/1826 - John McCrohon and Emily Banham (her mark).
Have you sighted John's birth in Portugal Ammanda?

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 19-03-11 at 04:57. Reason: Corrected Spelling to Banham

Tags
to3g18