Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 06-01-10, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Is their dau Martha your ancestor? I can see her in 1911 but not either of her parents. Have tried Robert with all his different places of birth (!) and also with his occs of hairdresser and barber, but can't find him. Do you know when he died, or is it possible they emigrated? I can't find her death via Ancestry's supposedly fully transcribed records, nor a re-marriage.
Hi Merry...been doing a little backtracking....children of Robert Walker and Zipporah Williamson I have in my tree
Martha Walker my nan born 1894 Broadbottom
Vera Walker b 1901 (broadbottom or Garston ...don`t know)
James Walker b 1903 (Broadbottom or Garston...don`t know)
I remember my "uncle" Jim very well...don`t remember Veronica at all....so can I ask you say you found Martha in 1911 BUT NOT WITH PARENTS,,she would have been 16-17...is Veronica and James with her ??
1906 birth 1909 birth...both out of wedlock? then she marries....does Zipporah have Veronica and James with the Mc Namara children with her in 1911 ?....did Robert ever move to Garston with Zipporah ?.....I notice there is SEVEN years between Martha and Veronicas births....going to check on Veronicas PLACE of birth.....James died about 1964 so in BEXHILL ON SEA...if I can find his Death cert it should give his place birth....allan
allan

Last edited by garstonite; 06-01-10 at 09:04.
Old 06-01-10, 09:30

Willamson Zipporah b Jun qtr 1867
Williamson Zipporah d mar qtr 1868 ....aged 0 ...so the possibility of "the other Zipporah b 1867 being Roberts wife is a no no...
so I cannot find a VERA walker registered at all in Hayfield reg district (for Broadbottom )
a Vera Walker b 1906 West Derby (Garstons reg dist)...
far too many possibilities for a James Walker b West Derby...none in Hayfield
cannot find any Mc Namara / Williamson births.......allan
Old 06-01-10, 09:33
Administrator

Two of the McNamara children were born before mother's maiden name was added to the GRO birth index, Allan (and before Denis and Zipporah's marriage), and we haven't managed to find the birth entry for Margaret who was born after.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-01-10, 11:31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garstonite View Post
Having now read all the replies I am flabbergasted Merry....It makes me feel so inadequate...I`ll never be good at this...the one thing I am a little upset about is she died in 1958....I was 7....and I can`t remember her...heard loads and loads about her...and because of the Zipporah name, you obviously remember that name....thank you very very much Merry...Sakespeare st / Hughes St / Otway St are all "under the bridge "streets in Garston...
Martha lived in Clarence Grove OFF Otway St when she married Daniel Oakes..so they were obviously close....my nan Martha died a year before I was born in 1950 so my dad lost his mum before his nan....
NEVER heard of the Mc Namara family ...and don`t know of any in Garston...so My dad was born in 1926 , his elder brother in 1924...so Martha would have had step siblings aged 18 15 and twelve at the time....sorry Merry , but I have to go back to my tree...my dads cousin was named BENTHAM and I have never never found the connection...maybe its thru the Mc Namara line....back soon and thank you so much...you`re a star....allan
I guessed you would say that about overlapping with her for a few years, but not knowing her.

I remember a bit more I didn't post yesterday - Veronica McNamara married a Bentham and had four sons and a daughter between 1930 and 1940. I had a look to see if any of them are on GR but don't seem to be. The children were all born in Liverpool. The reason I didn't post that before was that whan I found Veronica Bentham's death record her date of birth (on the death entry) didn't match up with the date of birth for Veronica McNamara on the army record for her father (at least I didn't think it matched - I haven't re-checked it!), so I thought I'd better not muddy the waters with info that might not be relevent. Sounds like it is though!!

Hope you are feeling a bit better after your slip up the other night?!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 06-01-10, 11:42
Administrator

Quote:
I remember my "uncle" Jim very well...don`t remember Veronica at all....so can I ask you say you found Martha in 1911 BUT NOT WITH PARENTS,,she would have been 16-17...is Veronica and James with her ??
Veronica and James were born McNamara and are with Denis and Zipporah in 1911.

I'm not sure if I have the right Martha in 1911. Someone will have to view the image. She is listed as 'granddaughter' born Broadbottom aged 17 (which fits with age and place of birth in 1901), but she doesn't seem to be with any Williamsons or with John and Mary Walker who were Robert Walker's parents.

Could Vera Walker be an alternative name for Veronica McNamara/Bentham?

Here is her death:

Name: Veronica Bentham
Birth Date: 15 Nov 1909
Death Registration Month/Year: Jun 1989
Age at death (estimated): 79
Registration district: Blackpool and Fylde
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 40
Page: 567

and her father had her date of birth as 15th October 1909, which is more similar than I thought it was! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 06-01-10, 11:48
Administrator

Quote:
Veronica and James were born McNamara and are with Denis and Zipporah in 1911.
I'm talking b**** here! lol! Veronica is with the McNamaras. Who is James? Sorry I was getting him mixed up with Denis M junior. (sorry getting fed up with typing the word McNamara as my Ms and Ns get mixed up!)

Oh, is James a child from Zipporah's first marriage? He might be with Martha - I can't tell.

Old 06-01-10, 11:50

well that answers the Bentham query....my dad was quite close to the Bentham clan...I`ll check on all of those now....
backs still sore...awkward when you try to sleep...central Heating / hot water went off last thursday...came out monday but didn`t have the part...haven`t seen him since cos of the weather....more concerned about the cold than my back at present...bad start to the year for me...lol..
anyway...one of the Benthams played for EVERTON...so ,at last I can say "one of our family played for Everton.......thanks Merry..thanks Kiterunner....I`ll add the Bentham clan to my tree...should I add the Mc Namara clan on ??....suppose I should....allan
Old 06-01-10, 11:51

Merry

Give me some ideas where to find her on the 1911 census and I'll look at the image. I have a sub.
Old 06-01-10, 11:55
Administrator

Allan, you don't know who the mother is of the McNamaras yet, (though my money is on Zipporah!)

Erm now let me see, Marg......

Martha Walker b in Broadbottom and living in Ashton under Lyne (district). I think she was 17 years.

Fanks very much

Old 06-01-10, 12:05

Quote:
I'm talking b**** here! lol! Veronica is with the McNamaras. Who is James? Sorry I was getting him mixed up with Denis M junior. (sorry getting fed up with typing the word McNamara as my Ms and Ns get mixed up!)

Oh, is James a child from Zipporah's first marriage? He might be with Martha - I can't tell.
James and Vera were Marthas brother and sister...Zipporahs children to Robert Walker....I wonder if Robert is still under a patio somewhere...we do that in Liverpool you know...lol....allan

Tags
togg7