Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 19-08-12, 08:59

Default Edmund Skillings

Born 5 February 1792, Edgefield, Norfolk, son of William Skillings and Rachel nee Middleton

Got Elizabeth Knights into trouble and their eldest child was born before he married her 12 October 1813 at Edgefield

Their subsequent 11 children were all born in Edgefield

In 1841, their household, close to the rectory in Edgefield, held both their elderly mothers, several children, and an illegitimate grandson.

They remained in the same house (described as ruinous by 1911) until at least 1871.

Three sons emigrated to Canada before 1841 (and seem to have smothered Ontario with Skillings!) and three daughters died young.

Edmund died in 1876, aged 84. I don't have the certificate to hand, but I am fairly sure that he is living with a daughter in Thornage, after the death of his wife the previous year. There was no will and any memorial stone is unlikely: I am fairly suer he was buried in the old churchyard and this, when last I saw it, was nothing but a mass of brambles.

Tags
to4g55