Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 21-11-09, 17:30

Default Ann Maria Steele

Name - Ann Maria Steele known as Annie

Date and place of birth - 14th August 1854. Priory Street,Lewes,Sussex

Names of parents - Charles Steele and Caroline Phillips

Date and place of baptism - Not known

Details of each of his or her marriages - No marriage found but she lived as the wife of George Beaumont - using his surname - in Leeds,Brighton and Lewes.

Addresses where they lived - 5 White Street,Leeds,Yorks. (1878): Colonnade Mews,1 Edward Street,Brighton,Sussex (1880 - 1898): The Dolphin Inn,St Nicholas Lane,Lewes,Sussex (1898 - 1901/2): 29 Priory Street,Lewes,Sussex (1901/2 - 1934)

Date, place and cause of death - 23rd December 1934 at 29 Priory Street,Lewes,Sussex. Myocardial degeneration

Date and place of burial - 27th Dec 1934 St John the Baptist,Southover,Lewes,Sussex.
Old 23-11-09, 15:01

Next time I'm in Lewes I'll try to take a photo of 29 Priory Street (I used to run down St Nicholas Lane to get the train, there's no Dolphin Inn there now)
Old 23-11-09, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Next time I'm in Lewes I'll try to take a photo of 29 Priory Street (I used to run down St Nicholas Lane to get the train, there's no Dolphin Inn there now)
Thanks very much Jill but I do have photos of 29 Priory Street, taken when we were on holiday in Sussex. It's a very special house to me as my Mum was born and grew up there plus the fact that Annie Steele's maternal grandfather was a builder in the mid-1800s and we have reason to think he may have built that house.

The Dolphin was on the corner of St Nicholas Lane and the High Street. I have the deeds for it, showing when George Beaumont took over as landlord. What I'm really short of with these great grandparents is their marriage which just doesn't seem to have happened!
Old 23-11-09, 17:16

Glad you were able to visit, Lewes is one of my favourite towns.

Was the Dolphin the building on the right as you look down St Nicholas Lane from the High St? It was a Maynards when I first worked in Lewes late 1970s but is now an undertakers, it appears have Tudor origins.
Old 24-11-09, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Glad you were able to visit, Lewes is one of my favourite towns.

Was the Dolphin the building on the right as you look down St Nicholas Lane from the High St? It was a Maynards when I first worked in Lewes late 1970s but is now an undertakers, it appears have Tudor origins.
I think we worked out it would have been on that side of the road - it's a few years now since we were there. We had a copy of the deeds with us and it says that The Dolphin and 41 High Street stood on a block of land that was owned by Robert Stapley a butcher, along with 40 High Street when John Rowe compiled his survey of the manor of Lewes Burges in 1624.When my great grandfather was the landlord it was owned by Verrall's Brewery.William Verrall bought it in 1776.

If you're interested in the deeds they are on the A2A section of TNA web site. I put "George Beaumont" into their search engine and that is what came up.

Tags
togg2