Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 20-12-16, 18:38
Administrator

Okay, William Sampson Sage married Harriet Nurse 8 Feb 1835 at St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol, and a William Sampson Sage was buried 27 Sep 1835 at Chew Magna, age 24, abode Dundry.

Now wondering whether William Sampson Sage and Harriet Nurse could have had a daughter Harriet who could be my "Harriet Irony"?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 20-12-16, 23:00
Administrator

There's a Harriet Sage appearing on various censuses, born within a year or so of Harriet Irony who remains unmarried until her death in 1905. I was doing well with her until I realised she is on the 1881 census as well as the others (originally I thought she wasn't on the 1881, I think because I didn't have the age range quite wide enough to capture all the entries). Her parents were George Sage and Elizabeth Notting. George b about 1813 in Bristol. As this wasn't a name you had for the children of Wm and Jane I decided the fact that she was on the 1881 census in Bristol meant she wasn't Harriet Irony after all!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-12-16, 23:50
Administrator

Thanks, Merry. There must be more children of William and Jane than the ones who I have found, though, mustn't there? I have Mary 1808 and then Hester / Esther 1819. Hopefully Ann and William Sampson fit in the gap but probably a few more?

Just found William and Jane's marriage on a website of Sage transcriptions - William Sage married Jane Oswell 27 Oct 1806 at St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol.

Old 21-12-16, 08:44
Administrator

Good point.

Here's what I found on the Harriet b abt 1834 died 1905:

No bap found.

1841 census surname Laye (correction not yet done), Cannon St, St James, Bristol

George 30 farrier
Eliza 25/26
George 9
Harriet 7
Mary 2

Mary's birth reg gives mmn Notting. All Yes for county.

1851 census surname Lage (correction not yet done), 3 Alfred Parade, St James, Bristol

George 37 b Clifton
Selina 36 b North Nibley Glouc
George 18 b St James Bristol
Harriet 16 b ditto
Mary A 12 b St Augustine's Bristol
Edward 3 b St James, Bristol
James 1 b ditto
Emma Edwards sister in law 21 says married but prob not?? b North Nibley

George married Selina Edwards in 1847, so opportunity to discover his father's name.

Most likely death for Eliza 1842 Q3 Bristol aged 30.

After that. Harriet appears easily on every census (inc 1881 in Bristol, when I wanted her to be Harriet Irony in Wales!) as long as you search Harri* and 1835+/-2 Whether that are all the same person is another thing, though they are all single. On one occasion (1861?) she says b St Pauls Bristol not St James (1851), the rest just say Bristol. EDIT - but are St James and St Paul both part of one parish?

Deaths Jun 1905
SAGE Harriet 69 Bristol 6a 53

No will.

Another potential spanner in the works is that there is also this birth:

SAGE, HARRIETT mmn DAVIS
GRO Reference: 1839 S Quarter in THE CLIFTON UNION
Volume 11 Page 235

and that Harriet is also the dau of a George!

Her family are here in 1841 (surname not yet corrected) and here in 1851.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-12-16, 09:18
Administrator

Wow, thanks for all that, Merry. The Harriett who is in Bristol in 1881 is a Forewoman at Cocoa Factory, whereas "Harriet Irony" is down as a Dressmaker.

Old 21-12-16, 09:34
Administrator

Yes, quite!

Old 23-12-16, 19:39
Administrator

There is an Edward Sage, son of Ann Sage, singlewoman, abode Dundry, baptised at Dundry 11 Oct 1835 and buried there 13 Nov 1835. Doesn't really help except it shows there was a single woman called Ann Sage living in Dundry at that time.

Old 24-04-18, 17:04
Administrator

With ref to posts #11 and #12, I have viewed the Bishop's Transcripts entry of the marriage record at a Family History Centre, and the witness's name is definitely Jane Sage.

Old 06-11-18, 20:06
Administrator

I have a DNA match on ancestry, estimated relationship 4th - 6th cousin, with someone whose 2xg-grandmother is shown as Sarah Ann Sage born 1858 Guisborough, Yorkshire. They don't have her parents in their tree, but I have her in the Sage tree that I put together in the hope of finding a link to my Ann Sage - she (Sarah Ann) was the daughter of Samuel Sampson Sage born about 1827 in Dundry, one of the sons of William and Jane. If Ann Sage was Samuel's sister, the DNA match would be my fifth cousin. But then if Ann was Samuel's first cousin, the match would be my sixth cousin, so I suppose it isn't proven by this.

Dundry and Bedminster come up quite a bit among the shared matches with this person, so I'm going to dig around a bit and see if I can figure it out. If only the surname and birthplace searches in ancestry's DNA matches worked properly.

Old 07-11-18, 16:27
Administrator

Several of the shared matches with the person mentioned in post #49 are descended from Moses Yeates and Ann Parfitt who married 1 Jan 1815 at Long Ashton, Moses being the son of John Yeates and Sarah Paiton or Paton, and Ann being the daughter of Tobias Parfitt and Elizabeth Lockyer. If I can just find a connection between one of these people and the Sage or Oswell / Oswald family now!

Tags
to3g8