Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 11-01-12, 09:26
Administrator

Okay, now I just need to go back in time and make my great-grandfather put his middle name in on the forms...

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-01-12, 10:30

Lynn, this is from the info on Ancestry - About London, England, Electoral Registers, 1835-1965

This database contains annual lists of names and residences of people in London who were eligible to vote in elections.

Historical Background

Electoral registers are lists of individuals who are eligible to vote during the time the register is in force (usually one year). Registration for voters in England has been required since 1832, and registers were typically published annually, though some years had two. Registers were not published during the latter years of World War 1 (1916–1917) or World War 2 (1940–1944).

Restrictive property requirements denied the vote to much of the population for years, though these were eased somewhat in 1867 and 1884 through the Second and Third Reform Acts. They were finally removed, for men, in 1918, when most males age 21 and older were allowed to vote. The franchise was extended to some women over the age of 30 in 1918, but it was not until 1928 that the voting age was made 21 for both men and women.

Thus, the number of names listed in the registers increases with the expansion of suffrage in England, and the 2 million images in this database list more than 100 million names.

Searching the Registers

Registers typically provide a name and place of abode, and older registers may include a description of property and qualifications to vote. Registers were compiled at a local level, with local polling districts being combined to form parliamentary constituencies. Names in registers published before 1918 are often arranged alphabetically within the polling district or parish. From 1918 onward, however, registers are organized by polling district and then street name and house number. In the past, this made knowing where your ancestor lived vital for researching in the registers. The registers in this database have been indexed electronically, however, which allows you to search them by name.
Old 11-01-12, 10:31

I've found a new step great great grandmother!
Old 11-01-12, 10:37
Administrator

Hmmm, despite the title, it only seems to go up to 1961.

Old 11-01-12, 13:24
Administrator

My computer won't let me use the advanced viewer to see these electoral rolls. Can anyone else make it work?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-01-12, 13:54
Administrator

I did get it to work but then it crashed my browser (Internet Explorer) so I switched to Opera and it worked o.k. to view a page but I thought it might be safer to switch to the old viewer anyway so I can get through lots of images before my daughter gets back from school!

Old 11-01-12, 13:58
Administrator

I have found the beta one is working too, but it's slow, so I have switched the the old viewer for the time being!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-01-12, 14:09
Administrator

Wow, I put in my 2xg-grandfather's name and it came back with 42 matches, and they're all him!

Old 11-01-12, 14:12

My sub ran out yesterday *sobs quite a lot*
Old 11-01-12, 14:20
maggie_4_7

Bother! I am at work itching to search them in the later years after WWII!