Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 05-11-11, 15:27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue from Southend View Post
Well it's good news that it appears to be fixed - not such good news for you!
Well, it's good that I know not to waste my time following the wrong line! If only FamilySearch didn't have stupid marriage transcriptions giving the groom's marital status as "married", I would have had a strong inkling from when I found it that it was the wrong marriage. I needed the groom to be a widower and it turns out it says bachelor. I wonder whether the FamilySearch is taken from something that doesn't give the marital status (e.g. BT's or an index) and they just put a random value in, or if they just got it (and a lot of other entries) wrong.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 12-11-11, 13:05
maggie_4_7

Well I have managed to get back two more generations on one of OH's line on both sides and harvested quite a few baptisms and marriages to backup info I already had from someone but me being me like to see the evidence. They didn't have any documents to show me and said to me 'oh I'm sure that's right because so and so has had it on their tree for years'!!

But my god there's so many with the same names all intermarrying I know they're all connected but not sure how at the moment but if I saved all the images I'd not have enough room on my PC eventually.

Managed to get another two days subscription because of hassle last week so now I am on the trail of the other set of Lewseys who married the Clarks unfortunately the Cole side is a dead end I can't seem to find anything further back than what I already have for Thomas Cole born about 1800 Witham, Essex well I can't find a baptism but one of the church records only start in middle 1800s so I expect thats the one. Although I did find his marriage to Mary Beard and his children's baptisms so they are confirmed now too.

Bloody expensive though not if you can do it all in one week but obviously one can't usually but its still worth it if you have to travel long way or you can't travel that far at the moment.

I think I will send an email to them though about the charges and also the coverage and expectation just from a customer service point of view maybe they'll take it on board. I don't think people mind paying for things but it needs to be sensible in the charging structure.
Old 12-11-11, 13:42
Administrator

Glad to hear it was so useful for you, Maggie. I found a few things to confirm stuff I had in my tree and of course that one that proved my tree was wrong!

Old 12-11-11, 13:52
maggie_4_7

Did it not put you on another or right track though?

It isn't a brilliant service though as you know. I wonder if as I said before with this FH explosion they might think it a cash cow to bolster their money for the council.

Most of OH's father's side came from the villages of Essex its been a bit of a blackhole to be honest (although I had info I'm always wary of it unless I see the proof) and I'm not averse to going to RO but sometimes its nice to be an armchair FH and do it in the comfort of your own PC. So I am grateful for that but it could be better to be honest.

I like the online thing (its nice to do the physical visiting which I have done) there are a lot of people that can't travel now and still want and have and interest also if you weigh up the consequential expenses of travelling sometimes its worth it to bite the bullet and subscribe.
Old 12-11-11, 13:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
Did it not put you on another or right track though?
No. Maybe when they put the wills online. What I really need to do is look at the Leyton PR's but they're not covering those.

Old 13-12-11, 01:57

So you have all had time to use it. Is it good and easy to use?

If you get a days sub you can search as much as you like?

Just a note for the nonEU people here. We get a slightly cheaper price as we don't have to pay the VAT.
Old 16-12-11, 08:17
Administrator

Good, yes. Easy to use, no. If you get a day's sub can you search as much as you like? Yes.

Old 24-12-11, 05:23

Thanks Kate. Will have a look over the holidays.
Old 27-01-13, 13:16

I've bitten the bullet and taken out a week's sub (just expired today) and trawled through the registers.

It's aggravating not to have an index - although some registers have an index at the back - and others at the front, just to be contrary - so a lot of trawling. I had to wait for each image to load, whereas looking on film is quicker. I found a
lot of what I wanted, but golly I wish they'd at least have provided a guide that said
Image 2 & 3 blank pages
Images 4-10 marriages 1730-1790
Images 11-23 baptisms 1730-1783

or something to give a clue to how much you need to trawl through. I suppose its cheaper than a trip to the records office, but its unwieldy when I'm used to the speed of Ancestry & FMP.
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 27-01-13, 14:11
Administrator

Still waiting for the parishes in Waltham Forest Borough to be added - quite a few of mine are going to be in there.