Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 29-11-22, 14:32
maggie_4_7

Message on SP

Upcoming Essential Maintenance
ScotlandsPeople will be offline from 06:00 to 09:00 GMT on Wednesday the 30th of November ahead of publication of the 1921 census. Thank you for your patience.

Edit: it will probably be a right old scrum at 9am then again I might be surprised and it will go swimmingly.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 29-11-22 at 15:10.
Old 29-11-22, 16:19
Administrator

I can't find anything I need to look for

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 29-11-22, 17:44
maggie_4_7

Well my Scottish grand father and mother Richard Geddes Young and Agnes McEwan plus my father at aged 3 and his 4 older siblings and also my Scottish grandmother's father and mother my great grand father and mother William McEwan and Mary Ann Walker Wilson they lived into the mid 1930s. The other side the Youngs had died already. I dont think I will learn much more than i know but will be nice to see where they are, also some wider family whereabouts that seem to disappear after the 1901 census.
Old 29-11-22, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
Well my Scottish grand father and mother Richard Geddes Young and Agnes McEwan plus my father at aged 3 and his 4 older siblings and also my Scottish grandmother's father and mother my great grand father and mother William McEwan and Mary Ann Walker Wilson they lived into the mid 1930s. The other side the Youngs had died already. I dont think I will learn much more than i know but will be nice to see where they are, also some wider family whereabouts that seem to disappear after the 1901 census.
I'm hoping a lot of mine are together so that I don't need too many credits.
I have bought £10 worth but I still had a few left.
My father was born in 1920 and he and his parents should still be there. Shortly afterwards they moved to England. They might be with my grandmother's parents. Hopefully my grandmother's sisters are still at home as my grandmother was the eldest.

I've made a list of people still alive in 1921 to find. A few of the families emigrated to New Zealand and the USA and Canada.
Old 29-11-22, 21:42

I was disappointed to find my mother in the English 1921 census still at home with her family in Sunderland when I hoped she'd gone into service in Yorkshire - will probably never know now where that was.

Hope to find father in law in Edinburgh just before he goes to Ontario, Canada as a trainee farmer with the Salvation Army aged 15. Still don't know why he went - perhaps the census will tell me if he isn't at home. I didn't find him in the 1930 Canadian or US census's.
Old 30-11-22, 08:14
maggie_4_7

Voila.

I made a mistake yesterday I said my father would be 3 he was born Nov 1919 so he was 1 year 7 months

A bit of a surprise my grandfather had his two youngest half sisters, Maggie/Madge and Jessie living with him and his family but their parents were dead.

Edit: actually Maggie and Jessie's father Andrew Caddies was still alive it was only my grandmother that had died and my grandfather who wasn't their father.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 30-11-22 at 08:38.
Old 30-11-22, 08:24

I can't find mine!

There are too many alternatives and you can't specify the place of birth, which is stupid.
Old 30-11-22, 08:31

Got two I was looking for and then found another who I still can't find the death for but she is still where she was in 1911.

Elizabeth - have you got them in the 1911 census - if so try that location in the 1921.
Old 30-11-22, 08:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBee View Post
Got two I was looking for and then found another who I still can't find the death for but she is still where she was in 1911.

Elizabeth - have you got them in the 1911 census - if so try that location in the 1921.
This is why I dislike Scotland's People. I have wasted two attempts. They should be in the Glasgow/Lanarkshire area but can't find any trace of them.

My father was born in 1920 and no sign of him at all!

I tried searching for my grandmother's family by putting in one of her sister's names - Robina. I got the wrong family.
I wish you could specify the birth place as my great grandfather was born in Kincardineshire.
Old 30-11-22, 08:46

I have now found my great-great-grandmother in Aberdeen with her two unmarried daughters.

It won't be so easy to find the others.