Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-14, 15:48
Administrator

Default The said James Bagwell

The will of Mary Bagwell, widow, of Peckham in the parish of Camberwell, Surrey, was written in 1764 and proved by the PCC in 1770:
PCC will of Mary Bagwell

She was nee Mary Cooper and she married Peter Bagwell 15 Jun 1699 at St James Clerkenwell, London. They had at least 5 children: Sarah (who married Robert Gibbs 7 Feb 1722 at All Hallows London Wall); Mary; John; Martha (who married Richard Avery 20 Feb 1734 at St Katherine by the Tower); Katherine / Catherine (who married John Tew 25 Feb 1734 at All Hallows London Wall). These children were mentioned in the will of their grandfather John Cooper which was signed on the 25th Jul 1713 but there could be some more who were born after that.

On line 12 of page 2 of Mary's will is a mention of "my grandson Peter Bagwell" and then on lines 17/18 "the said James Bagwell". There is also a mention of James's children John and Mary Bagwell. But I can't see where the original mention of James Bagwell is. Is it there and I'm just missing it? I think these people were non-conformists and I haven't got baptisms for any of them, and I'm trying to figure out where James and Peter fit in.

I found the will of a John Bagwell from 1763 but he doesn't mention any children, only his wife Mary. And Peter Bagwell's will proved 1785 only mentions his wife Elizabeth. There is a likely marriage for Peter and Elizabeth in 1766 with James Bagwell as one of the witnesses.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update