Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-20, 12:14

Default Verifying if Census belongs to my family

Hi

Wondering if someone can help. I am getting the hang of things but I don't want to make assumptions.

My great granddad was David Jones born abt 1863 in Ruabon Wales. He went on to marry a Mary Ann Potter (obvsiously my g grandmum) and Mary Ann was also born in Ruabon (b. 1866). I am doing ok with the Potter side (not great but ok) but having difficulty with David's side of the family.

Ancestry seems to be pointing me to David's parents being David Jones (b. 1835) and Ann Jones (b. 1830). Ann's maiden name might have been Phillips (if I have the right census). It is these census's that are throwing me...

If I look at a particular 1871 census then all looks good. But how can I verify this is the correct family? If I then look at the 1861 census (this is where I got that maybe Ann Jone's maiden name was phillips) then again all looks good. Other trees do match but I have been unable to get hold of the tree owners. My dad and Auntie have no idea, so how can I verify that these census records do indded belong to my David and Ann Jones?

I also use GRO and freeBMD which have helped me a great deal.

Thanks for any help. I am getting quite familiar with the whole process but still learning.
Nick