Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-22, 08:50
Administrator

Grrr, there are a lot of variables for this family and, so far, I clearly haven't hit on the right combination to find them on a census.

FMP Irish Newspapers:

Drogheda Independent 05 November 1904

Quite a long piece which begins:

Michael Martin was charged in custody, at the suit of the Balrothery Board of Guardians with refusing t contribute to the support of hs wife and children by leaving them a burden on the rates.

It goes on to detail how often Michael is drunk, who he has assaulted on various occasions, his aggression and use of bad language, what short terms of imprisonment has has been sentenced to, etc etc. But no details about the wife or children to confirm this is the same Michael, though it seems likely. One of the witnesses for the prossecution was the Balrothery workhouse master.

Drogheda Argus and Leinster Journal 03 September 1904

Here there is a warrant for his arrest for dessertion. This time it says wife and two children which seems right as we now there's Anna (1893) and John (1901).

I now can't remember if I looked at other births between the second marriage and 1901 before mmn was included in the index, to see if there were any other children. I don't think I did, as there were probably quite a few, given I didn't know if they were born in Balrothery or Dublin or elsewhere (though elsewhere seems unlikely).

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010