Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 17-02-22, 04:56

Its certainly a puzzler , why were they in inskip ? is there some kind of connection ? but it will keep me busy for a while lol
Old 17-02-22, 05:02

Mind you i was thinking inskip was near yorkshire but it's actually in the wyre in my area and isn't far from roseacre . so thy haven't moved very far .
Old 17-02-22, 05:24

i thought i would see where sylvester was in 1911.and i found a sylvester hornby in fylde workhouse as a inmate . it doesn't give his age so i don't know which sylvester this his, but what a shame that he would end up there .
Old 17-02-22, 05:47

i looked for charles hornby in 1991 , and found him it says father robert nottingham and mother mary and ellen 9 so i checked the birth and it's our charles and it was correct so i looked at marriages and there was a marriage for robert and mary hornby in old fylde 1885 so it looks like bridget (mary ) got remarried .
Old 17-02-22, 07:15
Administrator

Quote:
i don't know if ellen greenall is bridget's mother ,as she wasn't named as such i can't see a full census with all info on family , so i may go and search in the library today .you may have sen that .
Here's her entry, copied and pasted from Family Search, which is where I presume you were looking:

Name Ellen Greenall
Sex Female
Age 68
Event Date 1861
Event Place Poulton le Fylde, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original) Poulton Le Fylde, Lancashire, England
Registration District Fylde
Residence Note Poulton Green
Birth Year (Estimated) 1793
Birthplace Ireland
Marital Status Widowed
Occupation No Occupation
Relationship to Head of Household Mother In Law
Event Type Census
Household Identifier 3574250
Line Number 20
Page Number 23
Piece/Folio 3149 / 56
Registration Number RG09

I did find her in 1851 too, with her husband James Greenall who was a local man. They were living in Poulton le Fylde and no one else in the household. I haven't found them in 1841 not a marriage for James with any of the potential surnames for Ellen.

I agree about Bridget/Mary marrying Robert Nottingham. Note that the child Ellen Nottingham who is with them in 1891 isn't Bridget's daughter - she was born to Robert's previous wife. (I have forgotten the first wife's name now, but she died in 1883).

In 1901 Bridget is now Mary again! She is listed as Mary Nottingham widow aged 68 and is in the workhouse at Chorley. Her place of birth this time is.......Kendal, Westmorland!!

So, I'm beginning to wonder if she was actually born in Kendal? You said

Quote:
she must know where she is born lol
but lots of people didn't or just assumed. I can see Ireland being recorded because she was from an Irish Catholic family and I can see Lancashire being recorded because that's where she was living (and remember in most cases it would by the head of house who would fill out the census form or the head of house who would be asked for the information, so Mary/Bridget may never have had contact with the enumerator!), but I don't see why Kendal would be plucked from thin air. It could be that she was brought up there, but was born elsewhere, or that she was born there. Difficult to know without Catholic records for the area (I've not actually looked to see if there are any!!)

This looks like her death (though she's a bit younger again!):

Deaths Mar 1907
Nottingham Mary 69 Fylde 8e 541

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-02-22, 07:56

wow you have done a lot again . I didn't see that for ellen greenall it all doesn't come up on my ipad ,i think it's because of the browser it doesn't show all the info . Well you found her with her husband which is good . I will try and see if i can find them yes on reflection she could easily have been born in kendal else why mention it .what ashme that she ended up in the workhouse . Thanks again i'll try and do some more digging .
Old 17-02-22, 07:59
Administrator

You can't tell from the census whether she was in the w/h for one night or a number of days, weeks, months or years.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-02-22, 08:36

Yes i understand , but i suppose it wasn't nice even for a day . times were very hard
Old 18-02-22, 05:59

Hi , I went to the library to use ancestry ,searching for bridget's birth , but to no avail ,I couldn't find a marriage also for her mother or a definite birth for james greenall, or find him on a census . but he must be on one somewhere . But obviously the name could be spelled grenhaigh etc which makes it more difficult . but will keep looking .
Old 18-02-22, 06:43
Administrator

This is James and Ellen in 1851 on Family Search:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG5Z-PTM

and James' death reg:

GREENALL, JAMES 64
GRO Reference: 1859 J Quarter in FYLDE Volume 08E Page 360