Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 21-03-21, 16:12

i've looked on the 1881 census on family search william is there age 60'a provision dealer , in ince in makerfield . it doesn't show any other person
Old 21-03-21, 16:13

So we can probably discount james dickinson . .
Old 30-12-21, 08:51

hi all ,hope you all have had a wonderful christmas ??????I am trying to find a army record for James Moss born pemberton 1887 father james mother margeret. married to Jane whalley post 3 I do know that after he came out of the war he never worked again as he never quite recovered from the trauma . We thought we found his death age 45 . The name is common to find a military record any thoughts ? thanks
Old 30-12-21, 10:31
Administrator

Were any of his children born while he was in the army? If so then their birth certificate(s) might give some information about his army rank, regiment etc.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-12-21, 11:33

Was he definitely a career soldier? That was his father James, I think.

WW1 service records are scarce for lower ranks, istr 70% of them were destroyed but of course it's always worth a look.

OC
Old 30-12-21, 13:00

yes his father was a career soldier , i will check to see if any of james and janes children were born within the period of the war . There was a lot of anger with regard to james . I remember my mother saying that her mother jane didn't get a pension when james passed away as he didn't die under the colours . I don't. know if that was correct or not ? as there was lots of things said and at the time i didn't take any of it on board .
Old 30-12-21, 13:13

James and jane had a child elizabeth in 1914 don't know the date ,but as yet can't see any other child born during the war .
Old 30-12-21, 13:44
Administrator

Do you know where he lived during the war? There might possibly be an absent voters' list entry for him if he was still in the army towards the end of the war. Edit - FMP comes up with several entries for James Moss in Wigan in Britain, Absent Voters Lists 1918-1921 which could be worth a look if he was living there?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-12-21, 14:43

You only got a widow's war pension if your husband died in combat or as a result of war injuries after the war.

OC

Last edited by Olde Crone; 30-12-21 at 18:39. Reason: Autocorrect strikes again.
Old 30-12-21, 15:25

Thanks Kite runner and OC . I didn't realise that was the case . i'll check the absent voters list on family search . but i've no idea where he was whether he was abroad or not . I actually don't know much about him only what i've said previously. i'm sad about that . my brother passed away a few years ago he may have had some ideas . but i've got nothing to go on only his birth and death . he died when he was 45 , not a long life .