Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-09-15, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I didn't see "Banished", but I did hear that it was not particularly accurate historically. But I was reading part of a book about the history of marriage and divorce on Google books yesterday, and it did say that it was quite common for the wives who were left back home to be allowed to remarry after seven years or more, and that some of the married transportees did end up remarrying despite leaving a wife back home, so I think it could just be that the second time he applied, it was granted just because of the number of years since he was transported. But I don't know much about the subject.
I watched the DVD extras where it was said it was based on heavily researched fact but not necessarily fact to the actual convict portrayed. Whom were based on actual real people.

None the less, if James Shepherd was to leave wife Phoebe (or vise-versa) you would think getting married again would have had some hurdles? Just not sure how lose things were in those days?

He still seems the only James Shepherd who fits the puzzle. Just not sure I'm playing with all the pieces....

Regards, Jim
Old 05-09-15, 11:11
Administrator

But Phoebe died before the marriage to Caroline, so I don't see how that would be a problem. The question was whether his wife back in England would have to have died before he could marry Phoebe, wasn't it?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-09-15, 07:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
Do you mean you have the original cert issued in 1856, or a modern copy from the BDM Registry?

The Registry's records are often incomplete for such early dates, so if you don't have the original cert it can be worth getting hold of details from the original church registers. I've done this a couple of times, and it's given me parents' names and spouses' birthplaces that weren't on the modern cert.

Presbyterian records would now be held by the Uniting Church, who I've found very helpful. They do charge for information, but you could try asking them if they have the original records, and if so, whether the birthplace and/or parents' names are specified, before deciding whether to pay their charge.

You can contact them at: [email protected]

There's some information about the church and Rev. Macfie here:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/85955019
Here is the reply from the Uniting Church:

Dear Jim,

The earliest marriage record we hold for Pitt Town Presbyterian is 1906. The earliest marriage record we hold for Ebenezer is 1958.

You may like to contact the Presbyterian Church Archives in the hope they may be able to assist you. Their email address is [email protected].

Kind regards

Here is the reply from the Presbyterian Church:

Good afternoon,

We are unable to assist with this matter as we hold no original registers for Rev. George Macfie whatsoever. We have no knowledge of the whereabouts of his registers and it is quite possible that they were lost in the floods on the Hawkesbury in 1866/67.

Best wishes for success with your family history,

Research Officer

Bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
But Phoebe died before the marriage to Caroline, so I don't see how that would be a problem. The question was whether his wife back in England would have to have died before he could marry Phoebe, wasn't it?
Yes, very true. More research needed.

Thank you for the replies.

Regards, Jim
Old 08-09-15, 12:48

What a shame about the Pitt Town records!
Old 11-09-15, 05:52

Anyone know how I would go about either reading or getting a copy of the trial papers for this James Shepherd? All in the hope it gives up a home address or other pertinent information.

Regards, Jim
Old 11-09-15, 18:05

You could try an e-mail to the local Record Office, but there's no guarantee they will have survived.
Old 14-09-15, 08:52
tenterfieldjulie

I visited the Library at Windsor a few years back and they had a large FH section including microfilm of registers. Have you had any contact with them? Julie
PS My husband was a descendant of Greentree/Cohen. Catherine's father, James Cohen, was actually the convict Cornelius Cowen. So many family's tried to hide their convict past because of the stigma attached in the early days. There is a librarian who may be able guide you as to whether they hold records you want. Her email contact is [email protected]

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 14-09-15 at 08:59.
Old 16-09-15, 11:23
Administrator

Jim, Findmypast are offering free access this weekend (18th to 21st Sep). You need to register for an account if you don't have one, but you won't need to give them payment details.

Info on here:
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/freeweekend

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update