Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 03-09-15, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Welcome to the forum, Jim.

It may not be that easy to go straight to a baptism for James Shepherd in Yorkshire as it's quite a common name and can be spelled several different ways. I presume you don't have any further clues such as a specific birth place and/or parents names from a marriage or death cert etc?

Ancestry has this entry in the England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892:

which I'm assuming is the right record. Just looking in the newspapers for those sessions..........
Hello Merry thank you for the welcome and relocating my thread.
I only have Australian records including Ticket of Leave and Certificate of Freedom. These along with who I think he married in Australia. So Marriage & Death Certificates and one birth certificate of a daughter of the marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
There is also this record in the Prison Hulk Registers:

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/19...nSearchResults

Preston
No 4912 Jas Shepherd, age 27, Stg 50 Pieces & 20 yds(?) Cotton, convicted Preston 16 Octo 1833, sentence 14 years, NSW 8 Jan 34.
Thank you kiterunner for your assistance. I have little idea of places/locations in the UK and I'm only assuming that Hulks were the holding ship prisons?

Quote:
Preston Chronicle 19 Oct 1833
James Shephard, 27, was indicted upon a bench warrant for breaking the house of Thomas Thornber and Nicholas England, on the 7th of October, 1831, and stealing therefrom fifty pieces and twenty yards of calico cloth, their property. Several depredations of this sort took place at about the same time in the same neighbourhood (Colne) and a number of the parties who took the goods, as well as others who received them were tried and transported in the April Sessions of 1832. The prisoner had kept out of the way until recently. There were two indictments against him of a similar nature, and it was proved that some of the pieces stolen were amongst goods which he had employed a man (now a witness) to sell at a price much under their real value. He was found guilty on both indictments, and the sentence of the Court was that he should be transported for the term of his natural life.
I'm not sure about this? Would a crime in 1831 be tried in October of 1833? I wouldn't have thought!

Quote:
If you have access to Findmypast, this link will take you to the newspaper report on the trial of Henry Wadsworth and James Barker, a bit too long for me to type out just now:
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/v...18320407%2f008

(Preston Chronicle, Apr 7 1832, page 3). It will also be on the British Newspaper Archive website. There is no mention of James Shepherd in this report.
Sorry I don't have access to either of the last links you posted and the cost seems high. Nor do I have access to findmypast.co.uk

I'm just getting over paying for certificates and renewed registration with ancestry.com.au

I truly appreciate your efforts.

I'll come back later in the day and read more of what you have been so kind to do so far. 4.00am here need sleep........

Regards, Jim
Old 03-09-15, 18:29
Administrator

Yes, Hulks were the holding ship prisons.

The newspaper article says that James Shepherd was tried in October 1833 for a crime committed in Oct 1831, so yes, it is correct. The bit where it says "The prisoner had kept out of the way until recently." is the explanation - the police took that long to catch him! If you read through it, you will see that his co-accused were tried in 1832.

The last two links that I posted were just for information about James Shepherd's co-accused. Hopefully I will have time to type out the newspaper article now... back soon...

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-09-15, 18:40
Administrator

The Preston Chronicle, Apr 7 1832
Friday
Henry Wadsworth, 27, and James Barker, 48, were jointly indicted, the former charged with breaking into a warehouse, at Colne, and stealing ten pieces of cotton cloth, the property of Thomas Thornber and Nicholas England; and the latter with receiving the 10 pieces, and one other piece, knowing the same to be stolen. Thomas Greenwood, who had been apprehended for receiving the same, was admitted approver against the prisoners. There was nothing extraordinary in the evidence. The pieces, it appeared, were offered for sale to Barker, and were bought at a price something below what they would have fetched in the market. Some of the marks which had originally been on the pieces had been torn or cut off. The case as affecting Wadsworth did not appear to be made out so clearly as affecting the other. The prisoner Barker is himself a manufacturer of some standing, and received a good character from several respectable witnesses. The jury found both prisoners guilty.
Henry Wadsworth, the above prisoner, was then charged, on another indictment, with stealing, in February, from the warehouse of Mr Smith, at Briercliffe, twenty three cotton pieces, the property of William Smith. The indictment contained a count for breaking into this prosecutor's warehouse. To the style thereof, the defendant's counsel objected as he considered the venue not to be well laid. - Briercliffe is only termed part of a township, namely Briercliffe with Entwistle.
The court confirmed the objection so taken, and the first count in the indictment was quashed, but the prisoner was tried on the general counts of the indictment for stealing only. Prisoner found guilty of stealing.
James Barker was again ordered to the bar, charged on another indictment with receiving at Colne, 23 pieces of cotton, the property of William Smith.
Thomas Greenwood, who turned king's evidence, proved his having sold the pieces to the prisoner, on the 15th October last for 2s 9d per piece.
Mr Smith, the prosecutor, swore to the pieces being his property, and that they were worth about 4s per piece.
The clerk to the committing magistrates being sworn to the depositions, the voluntary examination of the prisoner was then read, stating that he had never had any dealings with Greenwood before this.
The jury found the prisoner guilty, and the court sentenced the prisoner on the above indictment to 7 years' transportation, and 7 years further on the previous indictment.
N.B. - The prisoner Wadsworth, in the former case, was also transported 14 years - seven years on each indictment.

Old 03-09-15, 18:45
Administrator

Findmypast and the British Newspaper Archive often run promotions where you can have a 1 month sub for 1 GBP, though I believe you then have to make sure to cancel before the sub is renewed as they will then charge the full amount. Or you may be able to get a free trial, with the same caveat. Also Findmypast sometimes offers free access for a day or a weekend, as does ancestry to various collections. So if you keep watching out for these kind of announcements, you might be able to access some of the records that you can't view at the moment.

Old 04-09-15, 05:13

Thank you kiterunner,

That information is truly fantastic!
I will keep an eye out for the site/membership discounts you mentioned.

I'm pretty sure I have the right James Shepherd from this end in Australia. Assuming I'm right he would be my 3rd Great Grandfather through my fathers material line.

Following the transportation information he ended up in Windsor, New South Wales and is the same James Shepherd mentioned in this thread http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...897#post304897 by tenterfieldjulie marrying Caroline Greentree.

So I guess now I would like to know where James Shepherd lived? Parents/Siblings and if he ever married in the UK?

Thank you so much for your efforts. It is so great to know these things.

Regards, Jim
Old 04-09-15, 06:21
Administrator

Quote:
So I guess now I would like to know where James Shepherd lived? Parents/Siblings and if he ever married in the UK?
Do you have his Australian marriage or death certificates? It may be difficult to determine who which records belong to him before his offence and trial etc with only an approx. year of birth and that he was born in Yorkshire!

I've just done a very quick look on Ancestry and found around 10 different baptism records that fit the information you have been able to give us so far. It may be possible to eliminate some of these, but also there may well be more records on other sites, so too many to choose from at the moment.

You mentioned on the other thread that he and Caroline lived at Windsor NSW. Is this the death record you thought might be James's?

7146/1866 SHEPHERD JAMES AGE 51 YEARS DIED WINDSOR

He seems to have lost a lot of years if the index information matches what is on the certificate. This may not bode well for the accuracy of any other information given!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-09-15, 07:16
Administrator

The NSW Register of Convicts' Applications to Marry shows that permission was granted on the 24th May 1845 for James Sheppard, age 38, ship "Hive", sentence 14 years, Ticket of Leave, to marry Phoebe McQueen, age 35, ship "Numa", sentence 14 years, Ticket of Leave, clergyman Rev B L Watson, South Creek. Their marriage is on the NSW marriage index but with her surname as McQuion. I can't figure out what happened to Phoebe after this at the moment, but surely the James Sheppard in this marriage is the one who we have been looking at?

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/15...l=ReturnRecord

Is the James who married Caroline Greentree a widower on that marriage? And is there any other useful information on the marriage certificate for the marriage to Caroline Greentree?

Old 04-09-15, 07:23
Administrator

Oh, there is another entry for the same couple in the NSW Register of Convicts' Applications to Marry:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/15...nSearchResults

Jas Shepherd, age 33, ship "Hive", Phoebe McQueen, age 32, ship "Numa", date of refusal Mar 15 1841, Revd H I Stiles, Windsor. Shepherd stated in his arrival that he was married.

Old 04-09-15, 07:28
Administrator

Here is Phoebe McQueen's certificate of freedom, dated 27th Apr 1849:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/16...nSearchResults

Born Edinburgh 1809, trial Middlesex GD 17 Oct 1833, sentence 14 years.

At the bottom it says Windsor, 28th Apr 1849.

James Shepherd's certificate of freedom has the same date and also says Windsor 28 Apr 1849 at the bottom:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/16...nSearchResults
Ship Hive, native place Yorkshire, trade or calling Farm Labourer & Shepherd, place of trial Lancaster QS, date of trial 16 Oct 1833, sentence 14 years, year of birth 1807.

Old 04-09-15, 07:45
Administrator

The NSW Registers of Coroners' Inquests has an entry for Phoebe Shepherd:

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/17...nSearchResults

Blacktown Road, 27 Jan 1856, Intemperance