Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 19-08-15, 17:00

Exclamation WYLIE family of Glasgow

Hi, me again. I'll just leave this here if I may; one of the two families I am researching.

I am searching for information regarding the family of Andrew WYLIE (1906 - 1945), originally from Cathcart, Glasgow. He was the son of another Andrew Wylie (1882 - 1954) and had siblings named Sam, Jack, Annie and May. The younger Andrew was a chemist and married Mary/Maidie Innes c1933; they had children names removed in case still living -- one or more may still be alive. Some of the family may have emigrated to South Africa at some point, but this is unconfirmed. If you have any information about Andrew or his family please contact me as the other four branches of the family are now all in touch once again.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:9CBG-NYP

(I didn't submit that information, but I'd be keen to find out who did)

Last edited by James18; 21-08-15 at 10:29. Reason: remove names of people who may still be alive; added Cathcart
Old 19-08-15, 17:25
Administrator

James, please note that our site doesn't allow posting of details (names etc) about people who may still be alive unless they have given their consent.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-08-15, 17:31

My apologies indeed. I shall bear that in mind in the future.

Oh well, hopefully something comes up.

Thanks.
Old 19-08-15, 17:40
Administrator

If you search the Statutory Marriages on Scotland's People without actually viewing the results list, just the free search to see how many matches you get, there is 1 match for Andrew Wylie marrying Mary Innes in 1933 in Glasgow City, Cathcart district.

To find out the bride's first name, since there was no match for Maidie, I tried "names beginning with" M, then Ma, then Maa, Mab, etc until I got a match for Mar, then I guessed Mary so I tried that and got a match, then changed to "Exact forenames only". For county / city and district you have to try them 1 at a time but of course Glasgow City was my first guess.

If you want to view the full details of the marriage you would have to buy credits on SP.

Old 19-08-15, 17:54

That's very clever, thanks. I never thought to try that, as I knew I didn't have any credits to view the results.

How did you narrow it down to 1933, though? All I get is 'Your search found 1 match' and a tick. Did you just try searching one year at a time until you got to 1933?

Is there any way to use SP without buying individual credits? I'm not really sure what the point of that is, aside from fleecing customers who wish to view multiple records. I mean, clearly you're going to have misses as well as hits, so it seems odd to literally charge someone for that.

Also, do you know what year the records go up to? Is there a cut-off point?

Well done for figuring out that little piece of information anyway. I'm very thankful. I wish there was a way to get a free trial for SP, as I could probably answer most of my queries within a few hours.
Old 19-08-15, 18:36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James18 View Post
That's very clever, thanks. I never thought to try that, as I knew I didn't have any credits to view the results.

How did you narrow it down to 1933, though? All I get is 'Your search found 1 match' and a tick. Did you just try searching one year at a time until you got to 1933?
I tried a wide range first and then smaller ranges within that range to see which got matches and which didn't - something like 1920 to 1945 (1 match), then 1920 to 1930 (none) 1931 to 1937 (1 match), 1931 to 1934 (1 match) and so on.

Quote:
Is there any way to use SP without buying individual credits? I'm not really sure what the point of that is, aside from fleecing customers who wish to view multiple records. I mean, clearly you're going to have misses as well as hits, so it seems odd to literally charge someone for that.
You can search without having credits although you do need to be logged into your account. You only need credits to view the list of matches and then to view the actual records. I would say it is worse for people who only want to view 1 record than it is for people who want to view multiple records, as you have to buy the credits in batches of 30 or so.

Quote:
Also, do you know what year the records go up to? Is there a cut-off point?
The BMD indexes go up to 2014, but for recent records, you have to order a copy of the actual record rather than being able to view online. The cutoff date varies depending on whether it is a birth, marriage or death, though. Full details on here:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/co...aspx?r=554&413

Quote:
Well done for figuring out that little piece of information anyway. I'm very thankful. I wish there was a way to get a free trial for SP, as I could probably answer most of my queries within a few hours.
Sometimes a code will be published that gives you a small number of free credits, but I don't know of a current offer. Maybe someone else on here will know of one?

Old 19-08-15, 20:37

I managed to do the Scottish side of my family in about a week, downlading any number of certs on SP for a total of less than £100. That would not buy ten certs in England, so I think SP is very good value for money. I didn't feel fleeced!

You can often find early registration details on Familysearch (free), so always worth a look there first.

OC
Old 21-08-15, 08:44

Hi guys. I have some more information received over the phone from a relative yesterday. He says he remembers a JIM or JAMES Wylie, who was a doctor in Giffnock, Glasgow and was possibly the elder ANDREW's brother. He'll be long dead now, as he was was roughly the same age as Andrew, who died in 1954.

That's another small piece of the puzzle, anyway. They lived at Giffnock, and sometimes used to pop up to Oban on small family holidays. This would be 1940s/50s.

My relative seems to recall that Jim practiced homeopathy, which would have been fairly rare in those days.
Old 28-08-15, 21:20

Well, big thanks to kiterunner, as the 1933 marriage was indeed the correct one.

I have since managed to find and download birth, marriage and death certificates for both Andrew and Samuel Wylie, but sadly haven't been able to find anything for Jack. He died in 1968 and my mother remembers visiting him in hospital in Edinburgh not long before he died, but for some reason I can't find anything.

Does anyone know if the old Royal Infirmary (Edinburgh) would have been in the George Square district of the city? It's since moved to another part of the city.

The 'Maidie Innes' was Mary Geddie McKechnie Innes (b. c1909), and I've e-mailed someone who I believe may be able to help me on that front. I think I've managed to confirm at least one of the three cousins I am searching for, but sadly I can't be 100% and don't have any contact details. Still, baby steps.

I'm really happy with the progress I've made so far, even if it's cost more than I'd have liked to get there.
Old 29-08-15, 04:28

James, had you thought to look for John as a variation of Jack? I found a blog called Glasgow Ancestry that lists the following information from a memorial stone in Old Cathcart Cemetery:
John Wylie, manufacturer of Glasgow
His wife Isabella Mitchell McKechnie
Sons- John, William, Alexander and Hugh.

There are no dates given so I don't know how relevant this is but there is also a video of the stone. You be the judge, but it doesn't look very ancient to me, so possibly some of the family you are looking for?
Wylie ancestry Glasgow Scotland

The McKechnie name struck me.

Janet (Niagara)